1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused - Pressure in a canister???

1. Jul 15, 2015 #1
    A manufacturer quotes a standard co2 canister contains 16g of co2 at a volume of 20cm^3.

So I need to calculate the pressure in the canister....

Using ideal gas law

P = nRT/V
    n = 0.364mol (16 of co2)
    R = 8.314 J/Kmol (universal gas constant)
    T = 294k (gas is at room temp 21 deg C)
    V = 20cm3 (volume of canister as quoted)

P = 444 Bar

However the manufacturer quotes the canister pressure to be 60Bar! This seems a bit more realistic to me but I've no idea how this could be the case.

Any thoughts to clear up the confusion?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2015 #2
    Its must be cubic meter.Convert 20 cm3 to meter3

4. Jul 15, 2015 #3
    Good point, but I already did the conversion to m^3 in the calculation to give 444Bar.

5. Jul 15, 2015 #4
    I dont know chemical very well but maybe theres another formula to calculate pressure.Maybe CO2 supposed to be non-idel gas.
    Your equation seems correct.

6. Jul 15, 2015 #5
    hum, I don't think it matters if the gas is 'ideal' or not. The manufacturer quoting 16g of co2 in a 20cm^3 canister stored at room temperature. I'm confused as to where the 60 Bar quote comes from.

7. Jul 15, 2015 #6
    Perhaps the CO2 is not all a gas under pressure and the pressure is the vapor pressure at a given temperature.

8. Jul 15, 2015 #7
    You wrote it isnt it ?

9. Jul 15, 2015 #8
    Theres only two option.First option this is not an idel gas.Ideal gas make the equation simpler but maybe theres another type of equation which I said before.
    Second think As you said its not 60 bar

Theres no other option cause our solution is correct.

10. Jul 15, 2015 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook