Price of 9 5/8 inch Steel Pipe

• Thread starter celticboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pipe Steel
In summary, to work out the price of steel pipe, you need to first convert the length from inches to feet and then multiply by 40 pounds per foot to find the total weight. Then, convert the weight to kilograms and multiply by the price per kilogram to find the total cost. Keep track of your units to avoid errors in your calculations.
celticboy
Dear all

I am trying to work out a price of steel pipe that I have. I have 900 metres of 9 5/8 inch pipe it weighs 40 pounds per foot and the price is $1,600 a metric ton.

Now if I want to get the price per metre then I understand that I have to divide by 2204.62, which is about how many pounds in a ton, then I multiply by pounds per foot, which is 40, then I then multiply by 3.281, which is about how many feet in a metre, and this gives me a price of $95.24 per metre which seems about right.

However what confuses me is that I have noticed that doing it the opposite way does not give me the original $1,600 price. For example to work out price per metre into price per metric ton I would multiply by 3.281 then multiply by 2204.62 and then divide by 40 (pounds per foot) This gives me an answer of 17,222 which is not the original $1,600. And so therefore I have concluded that I am doing something wrong somewhere in one of these, or both of these equations. I would appreciate any feedback that is given.

Regards

Chris

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First, find out how many feet you have (divide the total length in inches by 12"), then multiple the number of feet by 40, giving you your total weight. Convert to tonnes and you have your cost.

Keep your units straight!

First convert meters to feet:
m x ft/m = ft

Now find out how much that weighs in pounds:
ft x lb/ft = lb

Convert pounds to kg:
lb * kg/lb = kg

then find the price:
kg x $/kg = $

1. What factors determine the price of a 9 5/8 inch steel pipe?

The price of a 9 5/8 inch steel pipe is determined by several factors such as the current market demand, the cost of raw materials, manufacturing and transportation costs, the complexity of the design, and any additional features or coatings.

2. How does the price of a 9 5/8 inch steel pipe compare to other sizes?

The price of a 9 5/8 inch steel pipe typically falls in the mid-range compared to other sizes. Smaller pipes may be cheaper due to less material and production costs, while larger pipes may be more expensive due to their size and weight.

3. Does the grade of steel affect the price of a 9 5/8 inch steel pipe?

Yes, the grade of steel used in the pipe can impact the price. Higher grade steel, such as API 5L or ASTM A106, may be more expensive due to its superior strength and durability.

4. Are there any additional costs to consider when purchasing a 9 5/8 inch steel pipe?

Additional costs to consider when purchasing a 9 5/8 inch steel pipe may include taxes, customs fees, and any necessary inspections or certifications. These costs may vary depending on the location and purpose of the pipe.

5. Can the price of a 9 5/8 inch steel pipe fluctuate over time?

Yes, the price of a 9 5/8 inch steel pipe can fluctuate over time due to changes in market demand, availability of raw materials, and economic factors. It is important to regularly monitor and compare prices from different suppliers to ensure the best deal.