Strength of Schedule 40 steel pipe

In summary: bo's advice is good - figure the stress at outer edge of the pipe and if the loading is cyclic like wind will bekeep stress there well below the fatigue limit for your material
Awningguru
Help

I manufacture and install shade sails, typically using sched 40 steel pipe as the posts on the corners. Most pipe information displays the strength from pressure from the inside, but my real world application is to take a pipe, let's say 14' long, dig a 4' x 16" hole, and bury the pipe base 4' in the ground, leaving 10' above grade. I then attach the shade sail with turnbuckles to the top of the post. In my limited understanding, it is a lateral load on let's say a 4" or 6" schedule 40 pipe, with the moment 10' away at the ground.

I can figure how much pressure I am putting on the top of the pipe, Let's say 2000# for arguments sake (considering constant tension plus variation for higher wind loading). I understand the further I get from the moment (ground level) the greater pressure I am putting at that location. 12' from the moment would be much greater than 7'. I want to responsibly determine at what point to I need to upgrade to bigger pipes. 4", 6", 8", 10" etc.

If I know what the calculation would be, I can fill in the variables of post height, post diameter, and size of the sail (AKA how much wind load I am applying). I do hire engineers to do some of my projects, but that is after I quote it, which could have me spending a lot more to upgrade the strength. I also have tubing suppliers that claim a higher strength than schedule 40 pipe due to the alloys and treatment, so I want to try to translate their claim into dimensions, and savings in time, weight, and money. Ultimately, I can over engineer anything, but I hate having my customers spend unnecessarily due to my lack of physics training.

Sorry for my wordiness
Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
introduction to bending stress here
http://www.strucalc.com/normal-stress-bending-stress-shear-stress/

upload_2018-8-23_4-32-23.png

it's been too many years since i did one of these
but my approach was

figure the stress at outer edge of the pipe
and if the loading is cyclic like wind will be
keep stress there well below fatigue limit for your material

&^%$%$#! rich text editor won't un-indent !

MOI here https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/steel-pipes-dimensions-d_43.html

hope that's some help

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-23_4-32-23.png
    upload_2018-8-23_4-32-23.png
    15 KB · Views: 2,255
Likes berkeman

1. What is Schedule 40 steel pipe and what makes it different from other types of steel pipes?

Schedule 40 steel pipe is a type of steel pipe that is commonly used in various industries for the transportation of fluids and gases. It is known for its strength and durability, as it is made of a thicker and stronger wall compared to other types of steel pipes.

2. How is the strength of Schedule 40 steel pipe measured?

The strength of Schedule 40 steel pipe is measured in terms of its pressure rating, which is determined by its wall thickness. The thicker the wall of the pipe, the higher its pressure rating will be. This is why Schedule 40 steel pipe is often used in high-pressure applications.

3. What factors affect the strength of Schedule 40 steel pipe?

The strength of Schedule 40 steel pipe can be affected by several factors, including its wall thickness, the type of steel used, and the manufacturing process. Other factors such as temperature, external forces, and corrosion can also impact the strength of the pipe over time.

4. Is Schedule 40 steel pipe suitable for all types of fluids and gases?

Schedule 40 steel pipe is generally suitable for most fluids and gases, but it is important to consider the specific properties and corrosiveness of the substance being transported. In some cases, a different type of steel pipe may be more suitable for certain substances.

5. How does the strength of Schedule 40 steel pipe compare to other types of steel pipes?

Schedule 40 steel pipe is considered to be one of the strongest and most durable types of steel pipes. However, there are other types of steel pipes, such as Schedule 80 and Schedule 160, which have thicker walls and higher pressure ratings, making them even stronger options for specific applications.