Primality proving for 'near-powers'

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter CRGreathouse
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Messages
2,832
Reaction score
0
Is there a method for proving the primality of large numbers of the form
[tex]a^b+c[/tex]
where a and c are of similar size? I'm looking for something faster than a general primality prover like PRIMO, or a comment like "I know of no such method".
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm looking to prove primality, not factor. I'm looking for an analogue of SNFS for primality.
 
Hurkyl said:
Good point. Sorry 'bout that.

:rolleyes: Frankly, I did *exactly* the same thing myself: I said "that's a perfect SNFS form!" and Googled to find a good client... until I realized that I was searching for the wrong thing.

Can you verify that you know of no algorithm/program/whatever to do this quickly? That way, if I resort to some standard method like ECPP, I won't feel like I'm doing it an unreasonably hard way.