Primer applied on waterproof putty became flaky and peeled off

• Chemical/Paint
  • Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diy
In summary, the wall behind an air conditioner developed flakiness, prompting the removal of the old plaster and application of a new layer of plaster by a professional mason. The affected area was located behind the air conditioner, and it appeared that poor initial plastering, combined with water leakage from the old AC indoor unit, caused the concrete to become flaky. Consequently, the old plaster was removed, exposing the brickwork, and a new layer of plaster was applied by a professional mason. Once this was completed, the wall started to exhibit flakiness: before long, the entire wall peeled off. The problem may have been due to high moisture content or low pH in the old plaster, or moisture coming through from
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
A section of the wall in our house developed flakiness due to dampness, prompting us to undertake repairs. Specifically, the affected area was located behind an air conditioner. It appeared that poor initial plastering, combined with water leakage from the old AC indoor unit, caused the concrete to become flaky. Consequently, the old plaster was removed, exposing the brickwork, and a new layer of plaster was applied by a professional mason. Once this was completed, I proceeded to apply a layer of waterproof putty, specifically, this product.

After allowing the putty to dry, I noticed certain areas that appeared thin, so I decided to apply an additional layer without sanding the surface. My intention was to maintain the layer's thickness. Although the resulting surface was not perfectly smooth, it wasn't of great concern since it was a wall hidden behind an air conditioner. The main objective was to protect it from dampness for as long as possible.

Once the second layer of putty dried, I proceeded to apply a waterproof primer. I used this particular primer, which, according to the technical data sheet, could be thinned with water. However, it did not explicitly state whether dilution was necessary. To clarify, I consulted with the shop owner from whom I purchased the primer, and he confirmed that thinning the primer was not strictly required.

Consequently, I applied the primer as is, without diluting it. As it began to dry, the wall started to exhibit flakiness:

Before long, the entire wall peeled off. I believe the primer removed a layer of putty as well. All labour lost.

In order to rectify the situation, I will need to apply another layer of primer. However, before proceeding, I need to understand why the primer peeled off. Do you have any insights into the possible reasons behind this issue? I believe I have to thin the primer, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just guessing here. According to the paint data sheet, the substrate must:

1) Have less than 12% moisture
and
2) pH between 7 and 11

The data sheet also mentions water resistance. One possibility is that the putty still has high moisture content, and possibly high or low pH. It is also possible that moisture is coming through from behind the putty. If so, the moisture in the putty can push the paint off. I have seen a mural painted on a brick building peel off exactly like in your photos. That building was part of a paper mill, and had high moisture inside.

Joseph Lstiburek has done a lot of research into moisture flow in walls. His web site has a lot of good information in the subject. This link is to just one article on that web site: https://buildingscience.com/documents/building-science-insights/bsi-135-throttling-flow.

A remedy would be to remove all of the primer, and repaint with a moisture permeable paint. Most water base latex paints are moisture permeable. Put on just enough paint to get coverage because too much paint makes it less permeable, and more likely to flake off.

• Informative
Likes Lnewqban and BillTre
@jrmichler Thank you for the reply. It is possible that the upper layer of putty had not dried and cured fully, which is why when the primer dried and shrunk, the top layer came off.

I doubt that moisture can come from behind the putty in this wall. There are no water pipes; it's nearly 40°C for the past few days, with humidity quite low as well. The external wall is painted properly. No rain in the past few weeks either.

For the while, I have not applied another coat of primer, primarily out of fear that it may scrape off the lower layer of putty. Some portions of the wall still have the primer; some don't. We will leave it like that for the moment. We will not be painting the surface because of budget reasons.

1. Why does primer applied on waterproof putty become flaky and peel off?

This issue often occurs due to improper surface preparation or the incompatibility between the primer and the waterproof putty. Waterproof putties often have a slick surface that can prevent the primer from adhering properly. If the surface is not adequately cleaned or if there's any residual moisture, the primer may not adhere well and can become flaky and peel off.

2. How should I prepare the surface before applying primer on waterproof putty?

To ensure better adhesion of the primer, the surface of the waterproof putty should be clean, dry, and free of any contaminants like dust, oil, or grease. Lightly sanding the surface with fine-grit sandpaper can help create a texture that allows the primer to grip better. After sanding, clean the surface thoroughly and let it dry completely before applying the primer.

3. What type of primer should I use on waterproof putty?

It is crucial to select a primer that is specifically formulated to adhere to waterproof or non-porous surfaces. Primers that are designed for use on glossy surfaces or plastics may work better. Always check the manufacturer’s recommendations for compatibility with waterproof putty and ensure that the primer is suitable for the type of putty and the paint you plan to use.

4. Can environmental conditions affect the application of primer on waterproof putty?

Yes, environmental conditions such as humidity, temperature, and ventilation can significantly impact the drying and adhesion of the primer. High humidity can prolong the drying time and may hinder proper adhesion, leading to flaking. Similarly, extremely low temperatures can affect the curing process of the primer. It is best to apply primer in a controlled environment following the manufacturer's recommended conditions.

5. What should I do if the primer on waterproof putty has already become flaky and peeled off?

If the primer has already flaked and peeled off, it is necessary to remove all loose and peeling primer from the surface. Once the surface is clean and all flaky primer is removed, sand the area lightly to smooth out any rough edges and to provide a key for the new primer. Clean the surface thoroughly after sanding, ensure it is completely dry, and reapply a suitable primer as per the guidelines mentioned above. If the problem persists, consider consulting with a professional or using a different type of putty or primer.