1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Principal root of a Complex Number

1. Sep 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all the roots in rectangular coordinates, exhibit them as vertices of certain squares, and point out which is the principal root.

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem is [tex](-8 -8\sqrt{3}i)^{\frac{1}{4}}[/tex] and I found the four roots easily to be

[tex]\pm(\sqrt{3} - i), \pm(1 + \sqrt{3}i)[/tex]. So when it says to exhibit them as vertices of certain squares does this mean I should just graph the four points? and it should be a square.

Also as for which point is the principal root I have no clue. I am guessing it has something to do with principal argument but I am having trouble finding much information on principal roots.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2
    For any non-zero complex number, its fourth roots are arranged on the vertices of a square. You are being asked to verify this for the given number.

If I'm not mistaken, the principal root is the root whose standardized argument is least.

--Elucidus

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook