1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Principle of Superposition in Circuits

1. Feb 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that V = 4.8V and I = 3.2mA. Find Ix in the figure using the principle of superposition.

Steif.ch03.p64.jpg

2. Relevant equations

V=IR
    Kirchhoff's Current Law
    Kirchhoff's Voltage Law
    Total response = ∑responses from each individual source

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe I'm having trouble in simply solving for I_x in each circuit, but if you see any other mistakes please let me know.

Replacing the voltage source with a short circuit, we have:

x8zXRc4.png

Not really sure how to go about solving this one. If I had to guess, I would right a KCL at the bottom node such that:

I + the current across the 2k and 1k Ohm resistors = I_x

Replacing the current source with an open circuit, we have:

62FLHTV.png

Summing the resistances now in series and solving for i_total:

4k * i_total = 4.8

i_total = .0012 A

If I'm not mistaken, this should be equal to I_x_2.

I_x = I_x_1 + I_x_2 = ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2014 #2

FOIWATER

Gold Member

Are you familiar with the current divider rule? It is helpful in solving the first circuit.

Rather than just looking up current divider, try to prove it using the result

4. Feb 22, 2014 #3

FOIWATER

Gold Member

Let me help by proving the current divider rule for your circuit, then you can proceed to finish your superposition.

The way your circuit is set up (the first one), you have a current source feeding current into two branches right. OK, those branches are in parallel. The voltage across them is equal so we can write the equations:

1K(I1) = 3K(I2)

You can realize that I2 is just I total minus I1. You know I total and the resistances so from here you have Ix1

Does this make sense?

5. Feb 22, 2014 #4
    I am familiar with the current divider rule and attempted to use it earlier (forgot to mention in post) , but it gave me the wrong answer so I did not think that was how to solve it. The mistake I made was using 0.0032 as a positive number, which gave me the incorrect result. Looking at your post proving the current divider, I was able to correct my mistake and solve the problem. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  6. Feb 22, 2014 #5

FOIWATER

Gold Member

Happy to hear that.

You're welcome

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted