MATLAB: Verification of Superposition Principle

In summary: Sorry for the delayed replies, I am in college for 12-14 hours during the day.So what is now displayed is the RMS value of the combined AC and DC currents. You should be able to verify this result by using your single-source results and a googleable formula for determining the RMS value of an AC signal with a DC offset.
Bloopy

Homework Statement

Verify Superposition Principle using Matlab, given a DC source of 100V, an AC source of 50V, 60Hz and three resistances, R1=10 ohms, R2=20 ohms and R3=15 ohms.

I created the circuit below and ran the program. Result:

1.JPG

Homework Equations

None, just running the program.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, the Principle of Superposition states the total current in any part of a linear circuit equals the algebraic sum of the currents produced by each source separately. I am trying to verify the current flowing through R3 = 15 ohms resistance.

1. I short circuit the DC voltage source and run the program. Result:

2.JPG
  2. I then short circuit the AC voltage source and run the program. Result:

3.JPG

As clearly can be seen, the Superposition Principle is not verified. I am unable to reason where the discrepancy is.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,273
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,031
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,004
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not the best with circuits, but I don't understand your result when you short-circuit the DC source. How can you measure 94.4 V in that circuit?

DrClaude said:
I'm not the best with circuits, but I don't understand your result when you short-circuit the DC source. How can you measure 94.4 V in that circuit?
Yeah, I altered the step-size to get the accurate value of RMS voltage. Edited the question.

Bloopy said:
I created the circuit below and ran the program. Result:

1-jpg.jpg

The Current Measurement block is processing a current waveform with both AC and DC components. The block outputs the instantaneous current Not sure how this block will represent a static value of an AC current. What happens if you use an RMS block right before Display3?

Attachments

• 1-jpg.jpg
    1-jpg.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 680
lewando said:
The Current Measurement block is processing a current waveform with both AC and DC components. The block outputs the instantaneous current Not sure how this block will represent a static value of an AC current. What happens if you use an RMS block right before Display3?
Capture.JPG

Sorry for the delayed replies, I am in college for 12-14 hours during the day.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 751
So what is now displayed is the RMS value of the combined AC and DC currents. You should be able to verify this result by using your single-source results and a googleable formula for determining the RMS value of an AC signal with a DC offset.

What is the Superposition Principle in MATLAB?

The Superposition Principle in MATLAB is a mathematical concept that states the response of a linear system to multiple inputs is equal to the sum of the responses to each individual input. In other words, the overall response is the superposition of the individual responses.

Why is it important to verify the Superposition Principle in MATLAB?

Verifying the Superposition Principle in MATLAB is important because it ensures the accuracy of the results obtained from a linear system. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the system and predicting its response to different inputs.

How can the Superposition Principle be verified in MATLAB?

The Superposition Principle can be verified in MATLAB by applying different inputs to the system and comparing the overall response to the sum of the individual responses. If they are equal, then the Superposition Principle holds true for the system.

What are the limitations of the Superposition Principle in MATLAB?

One limitation of the Superposition Principle in MATLAB is that it only applies to linear systems. Nonlinear systems do not follow this principle and may have unpredictable responses to multiple inputs. Additionally, the Superposition Principle assumes that the system is time-invariant, meaning that its response does not change over time.

In what real-world applications is the Superposition Principle used in MATLAB?

The Superposition Principle in MATLAB is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze and predict the behavior of linear systems. It is also used in signal processing, circuit analysis, and control systems design.