1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Print ViewBlackbody Radiation and Continuous Spectra

1. Nov 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An astronomer is trying to estimate the surface temperature of a star with a radius of 5.0* 10^8m by modeling it as an ideal blackbody. The astronomer has measured the intensity of radiation due to the star at a distance of 2.5* 10^{13}m and found it to be equal to 0.055 W/m^2. Given this information, what is the temperature of the surface of the star?

My attempt:

I tried using I(labda)= 2*pi*h*c² /labda^5*(e^(hc/labda*k*T)-1)
    But ik keep getting stuck.. I dont know what to do with the radius of the star nor do i know what to do with the distance between the star and the measurement of I..
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't worry about the wavelength dependence. There's an equation for the total power-per-surface-area of a blackbody at temperature T. You can use that, plus the total surface area of the star, to get started.
  4. Nov 23, 2008 #3
    Are you talking about:

Where s is the Stefan Bolzmann constant ??
    Because now i dont know what to do with the distance given from th star to the place of the measurement..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?