Prism : what if incident angle is greater than apex angle?

In summary, the conversation discussed the incident angle, apex angle, prism refraction index, and deviation angle of a prism. The formula sin(I1) = np sin(r1) was used to find the first refraction angle, r1, which was then used with the apex angle, beta, to find the second incident angle, I2. The meaning of a negative value for I2 was explained as falling on the opposite side of the normal. The formula Deviation angle = I1 + r2 - beta was suggested to find the second refraction angle, r2, and determine the deviation angle. Overall, the conversation provided a better understanding of prisms and their properties.
adi adi
Warning: Problem statement should include a description of the problem; Solution attempt must be included.

Homework Statement

incident angle : 60 degree
apex angle : 30 degree
prism refraction index : 1,6
deviation angle : ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean the angle of the prism? Why do you think it makes a problem if the angle of incidence is greater than that? What is the question?

ehild

if i solve this equation to find first refraction angle (r1) :
sin(I1) = np sin (r1), which (I1) is incident angle =60 degree, and np is prism refraction index = 1,6
i find r1 = 32,76 degree.
if beta = r1 + I2 , which beta is apex angle = 30 degree, and I2 is second incident angle,
i find I2 = -2,76 degree
i can't quite understand what's the meaning of (-) in my answer :/

adi adi said:
if i solve this equation to find first refraction angle (r1) :
sin(I1) = np sin (r1), which (I1) is incident angle =60 degree, and np is prism refraction index = 1,6
i find r1 = 32,76 degree.
if beta = r1 + I2 , which beta is apex angle = 30 degree, and I2 is second incident angle,
i find I2 = -2,76 degree
i can't quite understand what's the meaning of (-) in my answer :/
It means that the second angle of incidence falls to the opposite side of the normal. See picture. You still can use ## |I_2|=|\beta-r_1|##. The second refracted ray will travel upward, in the direction of the apex.
I suggest to draw the rays always before applying a formula.
prismneg.JPG

ehild

so i can still use
Deviation angle = i1+r2-beta to find second refraction angle? (r2)
thank you so much that enlightens me so much about prism.
many thanks man

You find r2 by applying Snell's Law for I2. And I1 and r2 and beta determine the deviation angle.

ehild

thank you so much.
this really helpful

1. What is a prism?

A prism is a transparent optical element with flat, polished surfaces that can refract and reflect light.

2. What is the apex angle of a prism?

The apex angle of a prism is the angle between the two faces that meet at the pointed end, also known as the apex.

3. What happens if the incident angle is greater than the apex angle?

If the incident angle is greater than the apex angle, the light will not pass through the prism and will instead be reflected off the surface. This is known as total internal reflection.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the behavior of light passing through a prism?

The angle of incidence determines the amount of refraction and reflection that occurs within the prism. If the angle of incidence is less than the apex angle, the light will pass through the prism and be refracted. If it is greater than the apex angle, the light will be reflected off the surface.

5. How does the shape of a prism affect its optical properties?

The shape of a prism, specifically the angle of its faces, determines the amount of refraction and reflection that occurs within the prism. A prism with a larger apex angle will have a greater amount of refraction and reflection than a prism with a smaller apex angle.