1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For which incidence angle the ray won't come out of the prism's surface...

Tags:
  1. May 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ray of light falls on the surface AC of a prism with a straight angle and with two sides equal. For which incidence angle the ray won't come out of the surface AB. The index of refraction for the prism is n=2.

2. Relevant equations
    sina/sinb=n2/n1

3. The attempt at a solution
    sinb=1 so sina=n2/n1=1/2 the angle is pi/6 rad. Am I right?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Give us the related picture.

4. May 19, 2016 #3
    http://s32.postimg.org/6fsfdz69x/image.png
    I am adding: pi/6 rad is the angle of incidence. The first refracted angle is pi/3 rad. sin pi/3/sina=1/2
    sin a=1.7. Where am I wrong?

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  5. May 19, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the prism apex angle? In the problem statement you said "straight angle", but what does straight mean in this case? Googling this term resulted in a straight angle being equal to 180 degrees.

6. May 19, 2016 #5
    It is pi/2 rad or 90 degrees.

7. May 19, 2016 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take a look at the picture below,
    Prism.png

since you know that exit angle at the last surface is 90 degrees, you should be able to calculate ##\delta##, then ##\epsilon##, afterwards ##\gamma## follows naturally from that upper triangle and so on till you find ##\alpha##.

8. May 19, 2016 #7
    sin sigma/sin 90=1/2=> sin sigma= pi/6 rad. beta=180-90-30=60=pi/3 rad. (as the angle of two extensions is pi/2.
    sin alpha/ sin 60=2/1=> sin alpha/sqrt(3)/2=2=> sin aplha=sqrt (3)=1.7. I don't know where I am wrong.

9. May 19, 2016 #8

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please fix your comment above.

10. May 19, 2016 #9
    Just did it.

11. May 19, 2016 #10

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This potentially means that any incident angle on a right angle prism with ##n=2## will result in a total internal reflection at the second surface and hence no light can be transmitted.

12. May 19, 2016 #11
    What about the two equal sides of the prism. i didn't use this fact anywhere.

13. May 19, 2016 #12

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Probably that means the prism is an isosceles triangle but that doesn't influence the propagation of the ray. Anyway you can actually prove the statement I made in post #10. Denote the exit angle out of the second side as ##\eta##. In the second surface, Snell's law gives ##n \sin \delta = \sin \eta##. Then ##\beta = 90^o-\delta## and Snell's law in the first side gives
    $$
    \begin{aligned}
    \sin \alpha &= n \sin\beta = n \sin(90^o-\delta) \\
    &= n\cos \delta = n \sqrt{1-\sin^2 \delta}
    \end{aligned}
    $$
    Then by substituting Snell's law from the second side for ##\sin \delta##,
    $$
    \sin \alpha = n \sqrt{1-\frac{\sin^2 \eta}{n^2}} \\
    \sin \alpha = \sqrt{n^2 - \sin^2 \eta}
    $$
    The maximum value for the left side is unity, while the minimum value for the right side with ##n=2## is ##\sqrt{2^2-1} = \sqrt{3}##. This means, for any incident angle ##0\geq \alpha \geq 90^o##, there is no real solution for the exit angle ##\eta##. Physically, this means that the rays, irrespective of the incident angle, will undergo total internal reflection at the second surface.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted