How do I find refractive index uncertainties?

In summary: Then, plug in the uncertainties of A and Dmin and calculate the overall uncertainty of the refractive index value. In summary, the speaker has been conducting an experiment to find the exact angles and refractive index of prisms using prisms and a spectrometer. They have attached a picture of the formula they have been using and are now trying to find the uncertainty in their refractive index values, struggling with the multiple components involved. They are seeking guidance on the best way to calculate this uncertainty.
Sam D
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
I've been doing an experiment where I've used prisms and a spectrometer to find the exact angles inside the prisms and the refractive index of the prisms by finding the minimum angle of deviation.

I have attached a picture of the formula I've been using to find the refractive indices. Where Dmin in the minimum angle of deviation and A is the measurement I've made of the angles in the prism (both of which in themselves have uncertainties).
Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 10.24.51.png

I'm now trying to find the uncertainty in my value for the refractive index but I'm really struggling because there are so many components to go through. I'd be really grateful if someone could talk me through the easiest way of finding the uncertainty in my refractive index values.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 10.24.51.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 10.24.51.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,310
Physics news on Phys.org
This does not look too complicated. The only point I see is that you should use the formula to express the sine of a sum as a sum of products of the trigonometric functions of the individual variables.

I found the uncertainties of A and Dmin, the uncertainty when they're added together and divided by two, the uncertainty of them in sin, the uncertainty of a/2 in sin and then the uncertainty of everything on the top divided by everything on the bottom?

Sam D said:
[...]and then the uncertainty of everything on the top divided by everything on the bottom?
That's the problematic point as the uncertainties in the numerator and denominator will be correlated. Rather use error propagation. In the first step, you will have to take derivatives of your expression with respect to A and Dmin.

1. How is refractive index uncertainty calculated?

The refractive index uncertainty is typically calculated using the standard deviation of the refractive index measurements. This can be obtained through multiple measurements of the same sample or through the use of a calibration curve.

2. What factors can affect the uncertainty in refractive index measurements?

The uncertainty in refractive index measurements can be affected by factors such as the quality of the sample, temperature fluctuations, and the accuracy of the measuring instrument.

3. How can I minimize the uncertainty in my refractive index measurements?

To minimize uncertainty, it is important to use high-quality samples and ensure a consistent and controlled temperature during measurements. Regular calibration of the measuring instrument can also help to reduce uncertainty.

4. Can the refractive index uncertainty be eliminated completely?

No, it is not possible to eliminate uncertainty completely. However, steps can be taken to minimize it and ensure that the measurements are as accurate as possible.

5. Are there any guidelines for determining acceptable levels of uncertainty in refractive index measurements?

Yes, there are industry standards and guidelines that specify acceptable levels of uncertainty in refractive index measurements. These may vary depending on the specific application and industry.