1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probabilities Involving Bridge

1. Dec 10, 2007 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (1) In a hand of bridge, find the probability that you have 5 spades and your partner has the remaining 8.

(2) Compute the probability that a bridge hand is void in at least one suit.

(3) Compute the probability that a hand of 13 cards contains:
    a. the ace and the king of at least on suit;
    b. all 4 of at least 1 of the 13 denominations.​

The attempt at a solution
    Some quick info. on bridge: a hand has 13 cards and there are four players: N, S, E, W.

(1) The wording of the problem is confusing. I will assume that it asks for the probability that one player has 5 spades and another has the remaining 8.

There are n = C(52,13) * C(39,13) * C(26,13) * C(13,13) ways of dealing the cards.

How many ways are there of dealing the cards such that N gets 5 spades and S gets the remaining 8? Answer: C(13,5) * C(39, 8) * C(8,8) * C(31,5) * C(26,13) * C(13,13). Now if N gets 8 spades and S 5, the answer is C(13,8) * C(39,5) * C(5,5) * C(34,8) * C(26,13) * C(13,13). Both the former and the latter products are equal. Call it m. As a matter of fact, for any of the 12 permutations of two players, there will be m ways of dealing the cards such that one gets 5 spades and the other 8. That's a total of 12m.

The probability sought is 12m/n. The book states that the probability is just m/n. The book seems to be ignoring who gets the spades and I don't know why.

If a hand is void in at least one suit, then all cards are from one, two or three suits. There are 4 hands in which all the cards are from one suit, there are

[tex]\binom{4}{2} \sum_{i=1}^{12}\binom{13}{i}\binom{13}{13 - i}[/tex]

hands in which the cards are all from two suits and there are

[tex]\binom{4}{3} \sum_{i=1}^{12} \binom{13}{i}\sum_{j=1}^{13 - i}\binom{13}{j}\binom{13}{13 - i - j}[/tex]

in which all the cards are from three suits. Divide these by [itex]\binom{52}{13}[/itex] and add them to produce the answer. The sums are difficult to evaluate so is there an easier method to derive the answer?

(3) a. I employ a reasoning similar to problem (2): If a hand contains at least an ace and king of one suit, then it contains an ace and king of exactly one, two, three or four suits. The problem I face when counting is that a hand may contain the ace xor king of other suits.

b. Ditto.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?