1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability and Events (I don't quite understan the answer)

1. Oct 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An only child Urška puts 3 pieces of paper into a bag : on each piece of paper is written a name of one of her classmates :David,Niko,Dejan (those are the 3 names): She then randomly picks 2 pieces of paper from the bag and checks them
    Match the statements on the right with the ones on the left
    We have to mach the letters with the numbers
    2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    A: on one of the chosen papers is the name David
    B:On one of the papers is written the name of Urška's brother
    C:she pick 2 pieces of paper
    D:3
    E: on none of the chosen pieces of paper is the name Dejan

1:elementary event
    2:experiment
    3:impossible event
    4:Compound event
    5: numbers of possible result

and so I got
    A4
    B3
    C2
    D5
    E1
    What I don't understand is why is A (on one of the chosen papers is the name David ) a compound event
    why can't it be an elementary event

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think about picking out the first piece of paper and picking out the second. Are they different events?

4. Oct 7, 2015 #3
    Well yes since the name on the first piece must be different from the second one, however I still don't quite get the answer.

5. Oct 7, 2015 #4
    Ah I think I got it mind telling me if this way of thinking is correct
    if we pick the piece of paper with the name David, we must also check the 2nd piece to figure out if it is Niko or Dejan
    However if we look E(on none of the chosen pieces of paper is the name Dejan) because we know which name was not picked up we know which two were.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted