I don't quite understand what i read

• I
  • Thread starter Terrell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the equation involving a linear transformation from V to W. The equation appears to be incorrect as it includes y vectors instead of x. It is important to distinguish between a linear transformation and its matrix representation, and to note that the vectors involved in the transformation may not necessarily be column vectors. The convention is to represent the vectors involved as column vectors, and the representation of x2 in the x-basis is (0,1,0)^T.
Terrell
please check the image file...
i am having a really tough time following what this is saying with all the abstractions. i am assuming that since it's a transformation from V to W. then why does the equation below have y vectors instead of x? and since linear transformation follow traditional matrix multiplication, then why is a column vector of A multiplied to the column vectors of W?

Attachments

• linear transformations.png
    linear transformations.png
    12 KB · Views: 541
Physics news on Phys.org
I think what its saying is that you have some basis vector xj from the V space that you would like to represent in the W space so you apply the transformation T to it.

T is in fact the matrix A.

So you are doing a matrix multiplication of A and xj to get the xjvector represented by the yi basis vectors in the W space.

Does that make sense?

Hopefully @Mark44 correct me if I'm wrong.

jedishrfu said:
No.
jedishrfu said:
Does that make sense?
No, it does not.

The appearance of ##Ax_j## in (6) in the quoted text is misleading and incorrect. Try to read (6) without it. The scalars ##a_{1j},\ldots,a_{mj}## appearing in the linear combination are the matrix elements of the representation ##A## of ##T## w.r.t. the particular bases in ##V## and ##W##.

Last edited:
Likes member 587159, beamie564, Terrell and 1 other person
Thanks Krylov. I'll remember to add you to the post when I need verification.

I guess I looked at it in a more operational sense where you have the linear transformation T implemented as the matrix A and you then applied a vector in the V space to get its representation in the W space via matrix multiplication. Its been many years since I've played with it and when I'm not sure I call in an advisor.

jedishrfu said:
A is a matrix representation of the transformation T. A transformation can have multiple matrix representations, depending on the bases for the domain and codomain.

I've been busy with some other things this morning and early afternoon -- I'll try to get back to this a little later.

Likes Terrell
Krylov said:
No.

No, it does not.

The appearance of ##Ax_j## in (6) in the quoted text is misleading and incorrect. Try to read (6) without it. The scalars ##a_{1j},\ldots,a_{mj}## appearing in the linear combination are the matrix elements of the representation ##A## of ##T## w.r.t. the particular bases in ##V## and ##W##.
so the equation is incorrect? i think it is

Terrell said:
so the equation is incorrect? i think it is
Yes, it is incorrect. The vectors ##T(x_j)## and ##a_{1j}y_1 + a_{2j}y_2 + \ldots + a_{mj}y_m## are in W, which could be any ##m##-dimensional vector space.
##Ax_j## is not even defined, because ##A## maps from ##\mathbb{R}^n## to ##\mathbb{R}^m## but ##x_j## is a vector in ##V##, which could be any ##n##-dimensional vector space.

When you are learning linear algebra, it is important that your book distinguishes carefully between a linear transformation ##T## and its matrix representation ##A## w.r.t. a certain pair of bases. Afterwards, people often become sloppy about it. (There is a good reason for this sloppiness, but I do not consider it helpful at the beginning.)

(I remember that a tutorial was written about this topic a while ago: Matrix Representations of Linear Transformations. Its notation is different from your book, though.)

Last edited:
Likes Terrell
Mark44 said:
A is a matrix representation of the transformation T. A transformation can have multiple matrix representations, depending on the bases for the domain and codomain.

I've been busy with some other things this morning and early afternoon -- I'll try to get back to this a little later.
Krylov said:
Yes, it is incorrect. The vectors ##T(x_j)## and ##a_{1j}y_1 + a_{2j}y_2 + \ldots + a_{mj}y_m## are in W, which could be any ##m##-dimensional vector space.
##Ax_j## is not even defined, because ##A## maps from ##\mathbb{R}^n## to ##\mathbb{R}^m## but ##x_j## is a vector in ##V##, which could be any ##n##-dimensional vector space.

When you are learning linear algebra, it is important that your book distinguishes carefully between a linear transformation ##T## and its matrix representation ##A## w.r.t. a certain pair of bases. Afterwards, people often become sloppy about it. (There is a good reason for this sloppiness, but I do not consider it helpful at the beginning.)

(I remember that a tutorial was written about this topic a while ago: Matrix Representations of Linear Transformations. Its notation is different from your book, though.)
exactly the cause of my confusion. will check the article. thanks!

Likes S.G. Janssens
Terrell said:
why does the equation below have y vectors instead of x?
Are you referring to the right hand side of the equation? The image of the transform is in W, so it would be a vector expressed in the basis for W and that basis is the set of the ##y_i##.

since linear transformation follow traditional matrix multiplication, then why is a column vector of A multiplied to the column vectors of W?

The vectors of W aren't necessarily row vectors or column vectors. The usual way to represent a linear transformation is to represent it as multiplication by a matrix A on the left hand side of a column vector, which produces another column vector. ( However, I suppose there are a few books where the representation is done by multiplying a row vector on the right hand side by a matrix A to produce another row vector. Let's assume your text uses the conventional approach.)

The representation of the linear transformation ##T## by a matrix involves assuming we will represent the vectors in V and W in a certain manner. For example, if ##X## is a vector in ##V## expressed in the (orthonormal) x-basis as ##X = a1 x_1 + a2 x_2 + a3 x_3## then a "natural" way to represent ##X## by the ordered triple ##(a1,a2,a3)##. Notice this is not "naturally" a column vector. In fact, it looks like a row vector. But, after reading a lot of algebra texts, one begins to accept that ##X## will be represent by a column vector - i.e. as the transpose of ##(a1,a2,a3) = (a1,a2,a3)^T##.

Using the convention of representing the vectors involved as column vectors, the representation of ##x_2## in the x-basis is ##(0,1,0)^T##. The image of ##x_2## under a linear transformation ##T## will be some vector ##T(x_2)## in W. Suppose W has dimension two and ##T(x_2) = b1 y_1 + b2 y_2 ## , which is represented as ##(b1, b2)^T##. Compare ##(b1,b2)^T## with the result of multiplying ##(0,1,0)## on the left by a matrix ##A## of the appropriate dimensions.

##\begin{pmatrix} a_{11}&a_{12}& a_{13} \\ a_{21}&a_{22}&a_{23} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}0\\1\\0\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}a_{12}\\a_{22}\end{pmatrix}##

So ##a_{12} = b_1## and ##a_{22} = b_2##. As your text indicated, the second column of ##A## is determined by the coefficients of ##T(x_2)## when it is represented as a vector in the y-basis.

What is the best way to understand what I read as a scientist?

The best way to understand what you read as a scientist is to actively engage with the text by taking notes, summarizing key points, and asking questions to clarify any confusion. It may also be helpful to discuss the material with others or seek out additional resources for further understanding.

Why do I sometimes struggle to understand scientific texts?

Understanding scientific texts can be challenging due to the complex and technical nature of the subject matter. It may also be difficult if you do not have a strong foundation in the relevant scientific concepts or if the text is poorly written or organized.

How can I improve my reading comprehension as a scientist?

Improving reading comprehension as a scientist can be achieved through regular practice, developing a strong understanding of scientific terminology and concepts, and actively engaging with the text by asking questions and taking notes. Additionally, seeking out texts that are well-written and organized can also aid in comprehension.

What should I do if I come across unfamiliar terms or concepts while reading as a scientist?

If you encounter unfamiliar terms or concepts while reading as a scientist, it is important to pause and look up their definitions or seek out additional resources to gain a better understanding. It may also be helpful to make note of these terms or concepts and review them later for better retention.

How can I ensure that I fully understand what I read as a scientist?

To ensure that you fully understand what you read as a scientist, it is important to actively engage with the text, ask questions, and seek out additional resources or discussions with peers. It may also be helpful to read the text multiple times, take breaks, and review the material periodically for better retention.