Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability and probability amplitude

1. Feb 17, 2014 #1
    |A>=a|0>+b|1>
    <A|A>=probability amp |<A|A>|^2=probability
    If the state is same, so <A|A>= a^2+b^2=1. then i find the probability and no interference term in it!
    so can i say <A|A>=|<A|A>|^2 and no square is needed? since if i square it become a^4+b^4=??
    what wrong with it! and where should i place interference term?!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2014 #2
    |A> is the probability amplitude.
    <A|A> is the probability.
    Maybe you are confusing the situation with transition amplitudes where <A|B> is the amplitude of transition from A to B?

4. Feb 17, 2014 #3
    so if transition from A to B it need |<B|A>|^2 to find interference term? and <A|A> show only probability but nothing about interference? but its outer product |A><A| does show interference?

5. Feb 18, 2014 #4
    |A>=a|0>+b|1> so <A|A>=a^2<0|0>+b^2<1|1>+a*b<0|1>+b*a<1|0> where <i|j>=0 <i|i>=1. where the interference term?

6. Feb 18, 2014 #5
    You looking for interference between orthogonal states then. Why would you expect there to be some?

7. Feb 20, 2014 #6
    As for a normalized wave function |A>, a^2+b^2=1. However, <A|A>is not equal to a^2+b^2but a^2+b^2+a*b+ab* , generally speaking, the latter is not equal to 1. <A|A>=|A>|^2, would it help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook