1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability: B needs to shoot more times than A

1. Jun 17, 2010 #1
    Hi

I am having some problems solving this exercise. Can somebody give a hint on how to solve this. The hint from the book is not really helping me.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two sharpshooters, A and B, are going to shoot at a target. A has probability Pa of hitting it on a single shot; B has probability Pb of hitting it on a single shot. Wheater the target is struck on any one shot is statistically independent of whether it is struck on any other shot. What is the probability that B needs to shoot more times before hitting the target than A?

(Hint from the book:
    1. Suppose that A hits the target for the first time on his nth shot.
    2. Calculate the probabity that B shoots more than n times before hitting the target
    3. Then use the principle of total probabity to account for all values of n from 1 ad infinium)

2. Relevant equations

Pr(M AND M) = Pr(M|Ai)*Pr(Ai)
    Pr(M) = Pr(M|A1)*Pr(A1) + Pr(M|A2)*Pr(A2) ...

3. The attempt at a solution

P(A nth shot) = Pa*(1-Pa)^(n-1)
    P(B nth+1 shot) = Pb*(1-Pb)^n
    ????

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You could think of it this way. In each trial, each shooter keeps shooting until he hits the target. Say A hits the target on shot nA and B hits the target on shot nB. You have a bunch of possible outcomes (nA,nB). The outcome (1,1) would mean they both hit on their first shot; (1,2) would mean A hits on the first shot and B hits on his second shot; (2,1) would mean A needed two shots and B only one; and so on. What's the probability P(nA,nB) of outcome (nA,nB)?

Finally, the event you're interested in consists of the outcomes where nB>nA. How would you express that in terms of the probabilities of the individual outcomes?

4. Jun 20, 2010 #3
    > What's the probability [tex]P(n_A,n_B)[/tex] of outcome [tex](n_A,n_B)[/tex]?

[tex]P(n_a,n_b) = P_a*(1-P_a)^{(n_a-1)}*P_b*(1-P_b)^{(n_b-1)}[/tex]

> Finally, the event you're interested in consists of the outcomes where [tex]n_B>n_A[/tex].
    > How would you express that in terms of the probabilities of the individual outcomes?

I have no clue.

5. Jun 20, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Then you better go back and review basic probability.

6. Jun 20, 2010 #5
    > Then you better go back and review basic probability.

I already did. I guess here is some point i don't understand.
    So is the first assumption i did for [tex]P(n_a,n_b)[/tex] also wrong?

7. Jun 20, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your expression for P(nA,nB) is correct.

8. Jun 23, 2010 #7
    with the help of
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} q^n = \frac{1}{1-q}[/tex]

[tex]P(b > a) = \sum_{n_a}^{\infty} \sum_{n_b=n_a+1}^{\infty} P(a_n,a_b) = 1-P_b[/tex]

is this correct ?

9. Jun 23, 2010 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, it's not correct. Your answer should depend on pA somehow. Let pB be fixed. If pA>pB, you'd expect A would typically hit the target before B does. If pA<pB, you'd expect B would hit the target before A does generally. So the probability P(nB>nA) should be different in the two cases, but your answer would say they're the same.

10. Jun 23, 2010 #9
    Oh i think i found the mistake!

[tex]\frac{P_a (1-P_b)}{1-(1-P_b)(1-P_a)}[/tex]

Which looks right to me, because when Pa goes higher, P(nb>na) -> Pb

11. Jun 23, 2010 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Looks good!

The summation could be written

[tex]P(N_A>N_B) = \sum_{n_a=1}^\infty \sum_{n_b=n_a+1}^\infty P(n_a,n_b) = \sum_{n_a=1}^\infty P_a(1-P_a)^{n_a-1} \sum_{n_b=n_a+1}^\infty P_b(1-P_b)^{n_b-1}[/tex]

The sum

[tex]\sum_{n_b=n_a+1}^\infty P_b(1-P_b)^{n_b-1}[/tex]

is the probability P(NB>NA|N_a=nA) that B shoots more times than A does given that A hits on shot nA. This is the probability that hint 2 asked you to find. The other sum corresponds to hint 3, so you have in the end

[tex]P(N_A>N_B) = \sum_{n_a=1}^\infty P(N_B>N_A|N_a=n_A)P(N_A=n_A)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook