Probabilities of archers A and B hitting the bull's eye

You can also use the "infinitely many trials" method.Let a be your probability of winning, and b be Kim's probability of winning, so that a + b = 1. Let x=1/39 and y=1/38.Your probability of winning is x + (1-x)y + (1-x)(1-y)x + (1-x)(1-y)^2y + ... = x + (1-x)y + (1-x)(1-y)x + (1-x)(1-y)^2y + ... Your probability of losing is (1-x)(1-y) + (1-x)(1-y)^2 + (1-x)(1-y)^3 + ... = (1-x)(1-y)
jinhuit95

Homework Statement

Two archers A and B take turns to shoot, with archer A taking the first shot. The probabilities of archers A and B hitting the bull's eye is 1/6 and 1/5 respectively. Show that the probability of archer A hitting the bull's eye first is 1/2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, i thought about drawing tree diagram but the problem is I have no idea when to stop because I don't know when he will hit.

Physics news on Phys.org

First, what are the possible ways for this to happen?

A could hit the bulls eye on his first attempt. Or, A misses, B misses and then A hits the bulls eye. Or, A misses, B misses, A misses, B misses and then A hits the bulls eye... and so on.

Find the probability for each of these ways (for A to hit the bull's eye first), and add them up.

You will need to use the following:

1 + a2 + a3 + ... = 1/(1-a) for |a| < 1

the problem is, if he hits on the first attempt that's 1/6. so If i go on, it will be 1/6 + ( 5/6 * 4/5 * 5/6 * 4/5 * 5/6 * 4/5...) I have no idea when to stop. Moreover, the product of probability he misses will be come smaller and smaller and that number + 1/6 will not give me half i think.

Let's take the case when A gets it on his second try: A misses, B misses, and then A hits. What is the probability for this?

dx said:
Let's take the case when A gets it on his second try: A misses, B misses, and then A hits. What is the probability for this?

that will be 5/6 * 4/5 * 1/6 right?

dx said:
First, what are the possible ways for this to happen?

A could hit the bulls eye on his first attempt. Or, A misses, B misses and then A hits the bulls eye. Or, A misses, B misses, A misses, B misses and then A hits the bulls eye... and so on.

Find the probability for each of these ways (for A to hit the bull's eye first), and add them up.

You will need to use the following:

1 + a2 + a3 + ... = 1/(1-a) for |a| < 1

I'm sorry but what's this?
'1 + a2 + a3 + ... = 1/(1-a) for |a| < 1'

Yes, correct.

Now what is the probability that A gets it on his 3rd try? (A misses, B misses, A misses, B misses, A hits bull's eye)

jinhuit95 said:
I'm sorry but what's this?
'1 + a2 + a3 + ... = 1/(1-a) for |a| < 1'

Ignore that for the moment. We'll get to it soon.

5/6* 4/5 * 5/6 * 4/5 * 1/6

Correct.

So do you see the pattern?

First try: 1/6

Second try: (1/6)(4/6)

Third try: (1/6)(4/6)2

Fourth try: (1/6)(4/6)3

What is the probability that he gets in on the n'th try? Each time you are simply multiplying the previous one by (5/6)(4/5) = 4/6

1/6 * 4/6 ^ n-1!

Exactly.

Now you simply add them up. Let a = 4/6

(1/6) + (1/6)a + (1/6)a2 + (1/6)a3...

which is (1/6)(1 + a + a2 + a3 + a4...)

This is where you use the formula I mentioned before.

dx said:
Exactly.

Now you simply add them up. Let a = 4/6

(1/6) + (1/6)a + (1/6)a2 + (1/6)a3...

which is (1/6)(1 + a + a2 + a3 + a4...)

This is where you use the formula I mentioned before.

Got it! Thanks alot!:smile:

No problem.

jinhuit95 said:
Got it! Thanks alot!:smile:

Here is another approach: let x = the probability that A will win, given that A is just about to shoot.

If A hits the target on his first shot, he wins; the probability of this is 1/6. If A misses his first shot (prob. = 5/6), then for A to win it must be the case that B misses his first shot (prob = 4/5); at that point, A is just about to shoot and we are back to the starting point (win prob. = x at that point). So, altogether we have
[tex]x = \frac{1}{6} + \frac{5}{6} \frac{4}{5}\, x = \frac{1}{6} + \frac{2}{3} x.[/tex]
Solving, we get x = 1/2.

@Ray
Is there a reason why doing: $$x = \frac{1}{6} + \frac{2}{3}x + \frac{5}{6} \frac{4}{5} \frac{5}{6} \frac{4}{5}x,$$ and solving is incorrect? (I am just considering the possibility of both A and B losing until A hits on his third go).

My friend Kim and I had a similar competition, but we're much worse. I am slightly worse than Kim, so I went first. On anyone shot, my chance of hitting the bull is 1/39, and Kim's chance is 1/38.

Show that, once again, this is an even competition - my chance of getting the bull's eye first is 1/2.

Joffan said:
My friend Kim and I had a similar competition, but we're much worse. I am slightly worse than Kim, so I went first. On anyone shot, my chance of hitting the bull is 1/39, and Kim's chance is 1/38.

Show that, once again, this is an even competition - my chance of getting the bull's eye first is 1/2.
Are you stuck? If so, just use exactly the same method as you used to solve the first one. Alternatively, say you win on your ##i##th shot. This means you (or Kim) cannot have hit the bull on the previous ##i-1## attempts.
What is the prob of you not hitting the bull on the ##i-1## attempts?
What is the prob of Kim not hitting the bull on her ##i-1## attempts?
What is the prob of you hitting on the ##i##th trial given that you and Kim failed on the ##i-1## trials?
By the independence of trials you can then multiply these together and sum.
(This is really the same method by dx just reworded a bit differently)

Joffan said:

Just use Ray's method again. It's much the simplest way to solve these problems. Did you understand Ray's method?

Sorry for the misunderstanding guys. I was giving an extension question to illustrate the reasoning; I'm not stuck.

CAF123 said:
@Ray
Is there a reason why doing: $$x = \frac{1}{6} + \frac{2}{3}x + \frac{5}{6} \frac{4}{5} \frac{5}{6} \frac{4}{5}x,$$ and solving is incorrect? (I am just considering the possibility of both A and B losing until A hits on his third go).

We can see it is incorrect by solving it and getting the wrong answer (x = -3/2 instead of x = 1/2). To understand WHY it is wrong, go back and look at the definition of x and the argument I gave for the equation satisfied by x. The point is that x already includes all the possibilities of winning on the first, third, fifth, ... go.

However, it would be correct to write
[tex]x = \frac{1}{6} + \frac{2}{3}\frac{1}{6} + \frac{2}{3}\frac{2}{3}\,x [/tex]
for similar reasons. This equation does have the correct solution x = 1/2.

Last edited:

Related to Probabilities of archers A and B hitting the bull's eye

What is the probability of archer A hitting the bull's eye?

The probability of archer A hitting the bull's eye depends on a variety of factors such as their skill level, the distance to the target, and any external conditions. Without knowing these factors, it is impossible to determine an exact probability.

What is the probability of archer B hitting the bull's eye?

Similar to archer A, the probability of archer B hitting the bull's eye also depends on various factors. It is important to note that the probabilities of both archers hitting the bull's eye may be different due to differences in their skill level or other factors.

What is the combined probability of both archers hitting the bull's eye?

To calculate the combined probability of both archers hitting the bull's eye, we would need to know the individual probabilities of each archer hitting the bull's eye. The combined probability can be calculated using the formula P(A∩B) = P(A) * P(B), where P(A) and P(B) represent the individual probabilities of archers A and B hitting the bull's eye, respectively.

Is it possible for both archers to hit the bull's eye at the same time?

Yes, it is possible for both archers to hit the bull's eye at the same time. However, the probability of this happening would be relatively low, as it would require both archers to have a high level of skill and for all other factors to align perfectly.

How can the probabilities of archers A and B hitting the bull's eye be improved?

The probabilities of both archers hitting the bull's eye can be improved through practice, improving their skill level, and controlling external factors such as wind or lighting. Using high-quality equipment and proper training can also help improve their chances of hitting the bull's eye.