1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probabilities of archers A and B hitting the bull's eye

1. Jan 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two archers A and B take turns to shoot, with archer A taking the first shot. The probabilities of archers A and B hitting the bull's eye is 1/6 and 1/5 respectively. Show that the probability of archer A hitting the bull's eye first is 1/2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, i thought about drawing tree diagram but the problem is I have no idea when to stop because I don't know when he will hit.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2013 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Probability

First, what are the possible ways for this to happen?

A could hit the bulls eye on his first attempt. Or, A misses, B misses and then A hits the bulls eye. Or, A misses, B misses, A misses, B misses and then A hits the bulls eye... and so on.

Find the probability for each of these ways (for A to hit the bull's eye first), and add them up.

You will need to use the following:

1 + a2 + a3 + ... = 1/(1-a) for |a| < 1

4. Jan 10, 2013 #3

the problem is, if he hits on the first attempt that's 1/6. so If i go on, it will be 1/6 + ( 5/6 * 4/5 * 5/6 * 4/5 * 5/6 * 4/5....) I have no idea when to stop. Moreover, the product of probability he misses will be come smaller and smaller and that number + 1/6 will not give me half i think.

5. Jan 10, 2013 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's take the case when A gets it on his second try: A misses, B misses, and then A hits. What is the probability for this?

6. Jan 10, 2013 #5

that will be 5/6 * 4/5 * 1/6 right?

7. Jan 10, 2013 #6

I'm sorry but what's this?
    '1 + a2 + a3 + ... = 1/(1-a) for |a| < 1'

8. Jan 10, 2013 #7

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, correct.

Now what is the probability that A gets it on his 3rd try? (A misses, B misses, A misses, B misses, A hits bull's eye)

Ignore that for the moment. We'll get to it soon.

9. Jan 10, 2013 #8

5/6* 4/5 * 5/6 * 4/5 * 1/6

10. Jan 10, 2013 #9

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct.

So do you see the pattern?

First try: 1/6

Second try: (1/6)(4/6)

Third try: (1/6)(4/6)2

Fourth try: (1/6)(4/6)3

What is the probability that he gets in on the n'th try? Each time you are simply multiplying the previous one by (5/6)(4/5) = 4/6

11. Jan 10, 2013 #10

1/6 * 4/6 ^ n-1!

12. Jan 10, 2013 #11

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Exactly.

Now you simply add them up. Let a = 4/6

(1/6) + (1/6)a + (1/6)a2 + (1/6)a3...

which is (1/6)(1 + a + a2 + a3 + a4...)

This is where you use the formula I mentioned before.

13. Jan 10, 2013 #12

Got it! Thanks alot!!:smile:

14. Jan 10, 2013 #13

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No problem.

15. Jan 10, 2013 #14

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here is another approach: let x = the probability that A will win, given that A is just about to shoot.

If A hits the target on his first shot, he wins; the probability of this is 1/6. If A misses his first shot (prob. = 5/6), then for A to win it must be the case that B misses his first shot (prob = 4/5); at that point, A is just about to shoot and we are back to the starting point (win prob. = x at that point). So, altogether we have
    [tex]x = \frac{1}{6} + \frac{5}{6} \frac{4}{5}\, x = \frac{1}{6} + \frac{2}{3} x.[/tex]
    Solving, we get x = 1/2.

16. Jan 10, 2013 #15

CAF123

Gold Member

@Ray
    Is there a reason why doing: $$x = \frac{1}{6} + \frac{2}{3}x + \frac{5}{6} \frac{4}{5} \frac{5}{6} \frac{4}{5}x,$$ and solving is incorrect? (I am just considering the possibility of both A and B losing until A hits on his third go).

17. Jan 10, 2013 #16

My friend Kim and I had a similar competition, but we're much worse. I am slightly worse than Kim, so I went first. On any one shot, my chance of hitting the bull is 1/39, and Kim's chance is 1/38.

Show that, once again, this is an even competition - my chance of getting the bull's eye first is 1/2.

18. Jan 10, 2013 #17

CAF123

Gold Member

Are you stuck? If so, just use exactly the same method as you used to solve the first one. Alternatively, say you win on your ##i##th shot. This means you (or Kim) cannot have hit the bull on the previous ##i-1## attempts.
    What is the prob of you not hitting the bull on the ##i-1## attempts?
    What is the prob of Kim not hitting the bull on her ##i-1## attempts?
    What is the prob of you hitting on the ##i##th trial given that you and Kim failed on the ##i-1## trials?
    By the independence of trials you can then multiply these together and sum.
    (This is really the same method by dx just reworded a bit differently)

19. Jan 10, 2013 #18

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just use Ray's method again. It's much the simplest way to solve these problems. Did you understand Ray's method?

20. Jan 10, 2013 #19

Sorry for the misunderstanding guys. I was giving an extension question to illustrate the reasoning; I'm not stuck.

21. Jan 10, 2013 #20

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We can see it is incorrect by solving it and getting the wrong answer (x = -3/2 instead of x = 1/2). To understand WHY it is wrong, go back and look at the definition of x and the argument I gave for the equation satisfied by x. The point is that x already includes all the possibilities of winning on the first, third, fifth, .... go.

However, it would be correct to write
    [tex]x = \frac{1}{6} + \frac{2}{3}\frac{1}{6} + \frac{2}{3}\frac{2}{3}\,x [/tex]
    for similar reasons. This equation does have the correct solution x = 1/2.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook