What is the Probability of Hitting the Target in a Two-Shooter Scenario?

In summary, two shooters aimed at the same target at the same time, with the first shooter hitting 70% of the time and the second shooter missing 60% of the time. The probability of the first shooter missing is 30%, and the probability of the target being shot is 82%. This can be calculated using the formula P(AnB) = P(A) x P(B), as the events of the shooters missing are independent.
Physicsissuef

Homework Statement

Two shooters aim in same target at same time and then the first shooter shots in 70% of the shooting session, and the second is missing in the 60% of the shooting sesion.

A. The probability to miss the first shooter is: ______________

B. The probability the target to be shot is: _______________

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A. I think it is 30% (very easy indeed)

So the first shooter shots 70% (7 of 10) and the second shooter 40% (4 of 10)

B. I think the probability is more than 70%, but what is the correct one?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

If you found A easy then what's the probability BOTH shooters miss? What's the relation of that probability to the probability that the target is hit?

The both shooters to miss is probably 55% (or 5,5 of 10)

[tex]1-\frac{5,5}{10}=\frac{4,5}{10}[/tex]

I don't think this is correct.

You're right. It's not. Odds A misses are 0.30, odds B misses are 0.60. Odd that they both miss is NOT the average of the two. What is it?

If the first one misses 3 of 10, and the second one 6 of 10, both miss 9 of 20, or 45%. I don't really know. Please help!

Do you know how to find P(A and B) if you know P(A), P(B), and know that A and B are independent?

Ok, I will do like this:
1-shot 2-miss

shooter C - 1111111222

shooter D - 1111222222

All possible combinations are:
7*(1,1 ; 1,1 ; 1,1 ; 1,1 ; 1,2 ; 1,2 ; 1,2 ; 1,2; 1,2; 1,2)+3*(2,1 ; 2,1; 2,1 ; 2,1 ; 2,2 ; 2,2; 2,2 ; 2,2 ;2,2 ;2,2)
10*7+3*10=70+30=100

[tex]\frac{10*7+4*3}{100}=\frac{70+12}{100}=\frac{82}{100}[/tex]

82% ?

Ok, thanks. But how will I solve it with permutations?

Some help please?

for second question ::

probability that A miss :p(A): 30/100
probability that B miss :p(B): 60/100

Probability that both Miss :: p(AnB) = p(A) x p(B) = 30/100 * 60/100 = 18/100 (As both Events are independent)

so the Probability that the Target is shot = 1 - Both Miss
1 - 18/100 = 82/100 = 82 %.

Where this formula comes from?

Ok, thank you.

Related to What is the Probability of Hitting the Target in a Two-Shooter Scenario?

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is typically expressed as a value between 0 and 1, with 0 indicating impossibility and 1 indicating certainty.

2. How do I calculate probability?

To calculate probability, divide the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This will give you a decimal value that can be converted to a percentage if desired.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data collected from trials or experiments.

4. Can probability be greater than 1 or less than 0?

No, probability values cannot be greater than 1 or less than 0. A probability of 1 means the event is certain to occur, while a probability of 0 means the event is impossible.

5. How can probability be applied in real life?

Probability can be applied in many real-life situations, such as predicting the likelihood of a stock market investment being profitable, the chances of winning a game of chance, or the probability of a certain weather event occurring. It is also used in fields such as insurance, finance, and sports analytics.