Probability defective computer problem

In summary, the probability of exactly one computer being defective is 3/14 * 11/13 * 10/12, and the probability of at least one computer being defective is 1 - 11/14 * 10/13 * 9/12. The first part is determined by the combination of 2 working and 1 damaged computer out of a total of 14, while the second part is calculated by subtracting the probability of no defective computers from 1.
snoggerT
A computer retail store has 14 personal computers in stock. A buyer wants to purchase 3 of them. Unknown to either the retail store or the buyer, 3 of the computers in stock have defective hard drives. Assume that the computers are selected at random.

What is the probability that exactly one of the computers will be defective?

What is the probability that at least one of the computers selected is defective?

The Attempt at a Solution

- I'm at a loss on this problem. I've been able to work all the other problems from the homework, but I just can't seem to figure this one out. Can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]P(X=1) = 3\frac{3}{14}\frac{11}{13}\frac{10}{12}[/tex]

I think that because there are 14 computers and 3 broken ones the odds of choosing a broken one at first will be 3 in 14, then to avoid it subsequently it will be 11 in 13 then 10 in 12. There are 3 equally likely scenarios in which this can happen.

At least 1 is P(X=1) + P(X=2) + P(X=3) or 1-P(X=0) which is easiest to compute.

[tex] P(X\ge 1) = 1-\frac{11}{14}\frac{10}{13}\frac{9}{12}[/tex]

I think this OK.

Gregg said:
[tex]P(X=1) = 3\frac{3}{14}\frac{11}{13}\frac{10}{12}[/tex]

I think that because there are 14 computers and 3 broken ones the odds of choosing a broken one at first will be 3 in 14, then to avoid it subsequently it will be 11 in 13 then 10 in 12. There are 3 equally likely scenarios in which this can happen.

At least 1 is P(X=1) + P(X=2) + P(X=3) or 1-P(X=0) which is easiest to compute.

[tex] P(X\ge 1) = 1-\frac{11}{14}\frac{10}{13}\frac{9}{12}[/tex]

I think this OK.

- The first part is right, but I'm not exactly sure on why yet. Can you maybe elaborate a little more?

a)
[tex]P=\frac{C_{11}^2 * C_3^1}{C_{14}^3}[/tex]

There are 11 working and 3 damaged computers, and a total of 14.

Its like combining 2 computers (from 11) that work and 1 computer (from 3) that do not work.

You will try something for b) after knowing what a) is :smile:

1. What is the probability of a computer being defective?

The probability of a computer being defective depends on various factors such as the quality of the manufacturing process, the components used, and the age of the computer. It is not possible to give a definite answer as the probability can vary.

2. How can I calculate the probability of a computer being defective?

To calculate the probability of a computer being defective, you need to know the total number of computers produced and the number of defective ones. You can then use the formula P(defective) = Number of defective computers / Total number of computers.

3. What is the likelihood of a computer being defective?

The likelihood of a computer being defective is the chance or possibility of it being defective. It is usually expressed as a percentage or decimal value. The higher the likelihood, the higher the probability of a computer being defective.

4. Can the probability of a computer being defective be reduced?

Yes, the probability of a computer being defective can be reduced by implementing quality control measures in the manufacturing process. These measures can help identify and fix any potential defects before the computer is released to the market.

5. Is there a way to predict the probability of a computer being defective?

There is no way to accurately predict the probability of a computer being defective. However, by gathering data on past defective computers and analyzing patterns, it is possible to estimate the likelihood of a computer being defective in the future.