1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Density Function of a Quadratic Equation

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    HI Can anybody tell me how to calculate a PDF of y, where y is a function of x, such that
    y = a X*X + bX + C (i.e. a quadratic equation), and X follows the Normal Distribution X ~N(0, sigma)

Help anybody?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

A rough (as in I haven't stepped through all of the work in the detail you'd need to turn in on an assignment).

First, complete the square to write your quadratic in [tex] X [/tex] as

[tex]
    a(X + B)^2 + C
    [/tex]

(note that [tex] B, C [/tex] are not the same numbers as the [tex] b, c [/tex] in your post.

Since [tex] X \sim \text{n}(0,\sigma^2) [/tex] we can say

[tex]
    \begin{align*}
    X + B & \sim \text{n}(B,\sigma^2)\\
    (X+B)^2 & \sim \chi^2(\delta)\\
    \intertext{(non-central chi-square)}
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

In the end the expression the distribution

[tex]
    a(X+B)^2 + C
    [/tex]

can be described as a scaled (because of the multiplication by [tex] a [/tex]) and translated (due to the addition of [tex] C [/tex]) noncentral chi-square. There is no name for this.

An alternate approach would be to attempt to calculate the characteristic function for your quadratic expression, then attempt inverting. I looked at that: it seemed less than exciting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?