Probability Density Function

In summary, the problem involves finding the number of fragments within 10 kilometers of a volcanic eruption's center, given a density function. The correct method for solving this involves using a double integral in polar coordinates, with the result being 2*pi times the integral of the density function from 0 to 10.
radeksrat
Not really a homework question, but a problem I don't get nonetheless.

The density of fragments lying x kilometers from the center of a volcanic eruption is given by:

D(r) = 1/[sqrt(x) +2] fragments per square kilometer. To 3 decimal places, how many fragments will be found within 10 kilometers of the eruption's center?

I thought I was supposed to integrate the function from 0 to 100*pi, and in doing so I got 26.294, (I got 2[sqrt(x) - 2*ln(sqrt(x)+2)] when i integrated the function) but the answer was given to me as 70.424. The answer could very well be wrong, but I don't know that it is. What, if anything, am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
in cylindrical coordinates the integral of the density gives the distribution.
In this case the problem requires integrating over an area thus we have a double integral. In polar form J = int(int(f(r,theta)*r*dr)*dtheta) With the appropriate limits. Then J = int(int(1/(sqrt(x)+2),x) from 0 to 10,theta from 0 to 2pi) The result is simpler because theta does not appear inside the integral. The result is 2*pi*int(1/(sqrt(x)+2),x) from 0 to 10. That should be your answer

I'm not sure what you mean by ,x) abercrombie, but to be clear, the integral is
[tex]\int_{0}^{2 \pi}\int_{0}^{10} \frac{x}{\sqrt{x}+2} dx d\theta[/tex]
because of the jacobian x.

1. What is a Probability Density Function (PDF)?

A Probability Density Function (PDF) is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood of a continuous random variable taking on a certain value or range of values. It is used to model and analyze the probability distribution of a continuous variable, such as height or weight.

2. How is a PDF different from a Probability Mass Function (PMF)?

A Probability Mass Function (PMF) is used to describe the probability distribution of a discrete random variable, where the possible values are countable. A PDF, on the other hand, is used for continuous random variables where the possible values are infinite and uncountable.

3. What is the area under a PDF curve?

The area under a PDF curve represents the probability of a continuous random variable taking on a certain value or falling within a certain range of values. The total area under the curve is equal to 1, as the probability of any possible outcome must add up to 1.

4. How is a PDF used in statistical analysis?

A PDF is used in statistical analysis to determine the probability of a certain outcome or range of outcomes for a continuous random variable. It can also be used to calculate the mean, median, and standard deviation of the variable.

5. Can a PDF be used to predict the exact outcome of a continuous random variable?

No, a PDF cannot be used to predict the exact outcome of a continuous random variable. It only provides information on the likelihood of different outcomes or ranges of outcomes. The actual outcome of a continuous variable will still be subject to chance and cannot be determined with certainty.