1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability density with finite moment?

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    From Hoel, Port, & Stone, Chapter 4, Exercise 9: Construct an example of a density that has a finite moment of order r but has no higher finite moment. Hint: Consider the series [tex] \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} k^{-(r+2)} [/tex] and make this into a density.

Btw, this is for my own self-study. I don't even know if schools use this book anymore (my edition is from 1971).

2. Relevant equations
    The r-th moment for a discrete random variable is defined as [tex] \sum_{k}k^r f(k) [/tex] where f(k) is a probability density function [tex] (i.e., \sum_{k}f(k) = 1 ) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    If we were to take the Hint and pretend f is a probability density defined by [tex] f(k) = k^{-(r+2)} [/tex], then I see that a moment of order > r would result in something greater than a harmonic series, which is divergent. But I don't see how to turn f into a probability density function. I know [tex] \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} k^{-2} = \pi / 6[/tex], but I'm pretty sure there are no "convenient" solutions for [tex] \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} k^{-(r+2)} [/tex] where r is an arbitrary positive integer. If there were, than I could just normalize the series to 1 by dividing it, e.g., [tex] \frac{6}{\pi} \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} k^{-2}[/tex] qualifies as a probability density for r=0.

Any help would be much appreciated! A hint or two would be ideal. All of the exercises in this book have been relatively straightforward up to this point, so I feel like this question should not be that difficult. Perhaps I am just misunderstanding the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2009 #2
    Ah, figured it out. I was looking for a nice solution when the raw form would suffice... just divide the series above by itself. So the probability density function would be:
    [tex]
    \frac{1}{\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} k^{-(r+2)}} \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} k^{-(r+2)} [/tex]
    [tex]
    = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{k^{-(r+2)}}{\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} k^{-(r+2)}} [/tex]

This converges to 1 for r >= 0. And moments of order > r would diverge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook