1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability difficult bowl of balls

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bowl contains w white balls. One ball is selected at random from the bowl; its color is noted, and it is returned to the bowl along with n additional balls of the same color. Another single ball is randomly selected from the bowl (now containing w+b-n balls) and it is observed that the ball is black. Show that the (conditional) probability that the first ball is selected was white is [itex] \frac{w}{w+b-n} [/itex]

(this is exactly how it is written by hand by my prof)

2. Relevant equations
    I'm using "n" in between A and B as "intersect"

Well, probability of a, given b, is P(A|B)= [P(AnB)]/[P(B)]
    I think (for independent events) P(AnB)=P(A)xP(B)

3. The attempt at a solution

I guess to me it should be w plus b PLUS n, not minus. And I'm not sure how to use conditional probability here, it looks more independent to me. Halp!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2
    Surely you mean that there are w + b + n balls in the bowl the second time, since you added n of them.

4. Sep 5, 2011 #3
    That's what I'm ?? about, but the problem is definitely w+b-n.

What if there were w+b-2n balls, then when you add n, you have w+b-n. ??

5. Sep 5, 2011 #4
    no, it's a typo from that book you are checking all the problems here.

6. Sep 5, 2011 #5
    Ordinarily I'd agree but this is not from the book, it's hand written problem made by my prof. But he has made mistakes too, so typo is highly possible. I think ill email him.

7. Sep 5, 2011 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hmm, I think I see another typo.
    You write that initially the bowl contains w white balls.
    How could a black ball then be drawn?

Btw, the equation I think you will need is Bayes' theorem:

188019d193258f9ba310da979906d24f.png

8. Sep 5, 2011 #7
    Good call on the Bayes theorem, it's one of the key concepts of the homework. As for the balls, I think he's trying to get you to figure out what was in the bowl retroactively.

9. Sep 5, 2011 #8
    Cause it had b black balls.

10. Sep 5, 2011 #9

I like Serena

Homework Helper

I give up! :wink:

This is not a probability problem, it's a find-the-typo problem, or a think-outside-of-the-box problem (since apparently we have to make weird assumptions that the bowl initially contains w white balls accompanied by an unknown number of other balls).

11. Sep 5, 2011 #10
    I know, right? Well I'll update if prof gives a reasonable answer to my email.

12. Sep 5, 2011 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If W1 = {first ball is white} and B1 = {first ball is black}, what are P{W1} and P{B1}? Now, if {W2} and {B2} refer to the second ball, what are P{B2|W1}, P{B2|B1}, etc? You want P{W1|B2} = P{W1 & B2}/P{B2}. Can you get P{W1 & B2} in terms of P{W1}, P{B1}, P{B2|W1} and P{B2|B1}? Do you know how to get P{B2}?

By the way: after the first draw the number of balls *is* b + w + n, if your description of the experiment is correct.

RGV

13. Sep 5, 2011 #12
    Okay, the prof just emailed me back. It is correct as w+b-n. It's due tomorrow. Can I get some more help on it?

14. Sep 5, 2011 #13
    ILS, why do you say Baye's theorem is [tex] P(A|B)= \frac{P(B|A)P(A)}{P(B)} [/tex] ?

My book says [tex] P(A|B)= \frac{P(B|A)P(A)}{P(A)P(B|A)+P(B)P(B|A)} [/tex]

15. Sep 5, 2011 #14

Because the denominator of both fractions is the same.

16. Sep 5, 2011 #15
    How's that?

17. Sep 5, 2011 #16
    look at the formula for total probability in your book. It should be in the same section as Bayes's Theorem.

18. Sep 5, 2011 #17
    I tried Baye's theorem and I got w/(w+b)
    This seems kind of reasonable. Since the adding of the n balls occurs AFTER the drawing of the white ball. Now I see why there is -n. But I still have to get that for an answer.

19. Sep 5, 2011 #18

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Did you ask your professor to clarify how it could be w+b-n? And for that matter, what does b stand for? Are we supposed to assume it's the number of black balls?

20. Sep 6, 2011 #19
    Arg. After all that, during class today he admits that he wrote the problem inaccurately! Forget it.

21. Sep 6, 2011 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook