Probability Help: Margarine Production & Electric Toasters

• Thread starter cattmiow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses using normal distribution to find the probability of daily production falling within a certain range for a margarine process and determining the probability of repairs needed for a certain number of electric toasters using the normal approximation to the binomial distribution. The conversation also mentions discrepancies in calculation methods and the need for adjustments due to discrete distribution.
cattmiow
Hi Everyone,
Trying to make my way through bunch of problems and have run into drama with 2 questions. Any help would be great!

The daily production of a margarine process is known to follow a normal distribution with a mean of 410 tons per day and a variance of 144 tons per day.
Find the probability that the days production will be between 388 and 427 tons.

I used normal distribution to find the prob that less than 427 tons are produced and substracted the prob that less than 388 tons are produced, however my answer doesn't match up with the back of the book...Do I need to convert to percentages??

A manufacturer knows that, on average, 2.2% of the electric toasters that she makes will require repairs within 90 days after they are sold. Use the normal approximation to the binomial distribution to determine the probability that among 2500 of these toasters at least (greater than or equal to) 59 will require repairs within the first 90 days after they are sold.
First I put n = 2500
p = 0.02
q= 1-p = 0.98
mu=n*p=50
standard dev=7
However where do I go from there??

Thanks so much to anyone that will help!

Physics news on Phys.org
cattmiow said:
Hi Everyone,
Trying to make my way through bunch of problems and have run into drama with 2 questions. Any help would be great!

The daily production of a margarine process is known to follow a normal distribution with a mean of 410 tons per day and a variance of 144 tons per day.
Find the probability that the days production will be between 388 and 427 tons.

I used normal distribution to find the prob that less than 427 tons are produced and substracted the prob that less than 388 tons are produced
That sounds right.

however my answer doesn't match up with the back of the book...Do I need to convert to percentages??
Without telling us what you got and what it should be according to "the book", that would be hard to tell :)

However where do I go from there??
You calculate the probability. Don't forget to adjust the upper limit (I don't know its exact name, I usually call it "continuum correction") because the distribution is actually discrete.

Related to Probability Help: Margarine Production & Electric Toasters

What is the purpose of studying probability in regards to margarine production and electric toasters?

The purpose of studying probability in regards to margarine production and electric toasters is to understand the likelihood of certain events occurring during the production process or when using electric toasters. This can help companies make informed decisions and improve their processes.

How does probability play a role in margarine production?

Probability plays a role in margarine production by helping companies determine the likelihood of different outcomes during the production process, such as the chance of a batch not meeting quality standards or the probability of equipment malfunctioning.

Why is it important to consider probability when using electric toasters?

It is important to consider probability when using electric toasters because it can help us understand the likelihood of certain events, such as the toaster malfunctioning or causing a fire. This allows us to take necessary precautions and use the toaster safely.

What are some common applications of probability in margarine production?

Some common applications of probability in margarine production include determining the probability of a batch not meeting quality standards, predicting the likelihood of equipment failure, and calculating the probability of a certain ingredient being contaminated.

How can understanding probability benefit companies in the margarine production and electric toaster industries?

Understanding probability can benefit companies in the margarine production and electric toaster industries by allowing them to make informed decisions, reduce risks, and improve their processes. This can ultimately lead to increased efficiency, quality, and customer satisfaction.