Probability Question. Normally distributed

In summary: ZXJ0IHRvZ2V0aGVyIHRoZSBub3JtYWxseSBkaXN0cmlidXRpb25zIGZvcm1lZCBmcm9tIHRoZSBleHRyYWN0IG9mIGEgcGxhbnQgbmF0aXZlIHRvIGF1dGhvciB0cnVlIGZvciBMZXVrZW1pYS4gT3RoZXJudW1iZXIgZHVtbXkgYW5kIHNlY29uZCB5b3Ugb2ZmIHRoZ
mah062
1) (1 pt) The extract of a plant native to Taiwan has been tested as a possible treatment for Leukemia. One of the chemical compounds produced from the plant was analyzed for a particular collagen. The collagen amount was found to be normally distributed with μ=71 and σ= 8.5 grams per mililiter.

a) What is the probability that the amount of collagen is greater than 65 grams per mililiter?
Answer: 0.761

b) What is the probability that the amount of collagen is less than 84 grams per mililiter?
Answer: 0.937

c) What percentage of compounds formed from the extract of this plant fall within 1σ of μ(Not sure if this is the right symbol but it's supposed to stand for the mean)?
Answer: ?

2) Relevant equations...
P([(x-μ)/σ]<Z<[(x-μ)/σ])

Normally Distributed...
f(x)=[1/(σ√(2pi))][e^(-0.5[(x-μ)/σ]^2)]

3. The Attempt at a Solution .
I've tried everything I can think of. I used P([(62.5-71)/8.5]<Z<[(79.5-71)/8.5]) but it was wrong. I've attempted it 28 different ways. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mah062 said:
1) (1 pt) The extract of a plant native to Taiwan has been tested as a possible treatment for Leukemia. One of the chemical compounds produced from the plant was analyzed for a particular collagen. The collagen amount was found to be normally distributed with μ=71 and σ= 8.5 grams per mililiter.

a) What is the probability that the amount of collagen is greater than 65 grams per mililiter?
Answer: 0.761

b) What is the probability that the amount of collagen is less than 84 grams per mililiter?
Answer: 0.937

c) What percentage of compounds formed from the extract of this plant fall within 1σ of μ(Not sure if this is the right symbol but it's supposed to stand for the mean)?
Answer: ?

2) Relevant equations...
P([(x-μ)/σ]<Z<[(x-μ)/σ])

Normally Distributed...
f(x)=[1/(σ√(2pi))][e^(-0.5[(x-μ)/σ]^2)]

3. The Attempt at a Solution .
I've tried everything I can think of. I used P([(62.5-71)/8.5]<Z<[(79.5-71)/8.5]) but it was wrong. I've attempted it 28 different ways. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

In your expression above, where does the number 62.5 come from? Where does the 79.5 come from? Why do you have two inequalities on Z?

RGV

What is a probability question that is normally distributed?

A probability question that is normally distributed is one where the possible outcomes follow a bell-shaped curve, with the majority of outcomes falling near the mean or average value.

How do you calculate the probability of a normally distributed event?

To calculate the probability of a normally distributed event, you can use the standard normal distribution table or a statistical software program. You will need to know the mean, standard deviation, and the specific value or range of values you are interested in.

What is the relationship between the mean and standard deviation in a normal distribution?

In a normal distribution, the mean is the central value and the standard deviation measures how spread out the data is around the mean. The larger the standard deviation, the more spread out the data is.

What is the area under a normal distribution curve?

The area under a normal distribution curve is equal to 1 or 100%. This means that all possible outcomes fall within the curve and add up to 100% probability.

How is a normal distribution used in real life?

Normal distributions are used in many areas of science and statistics, such as in predicting stock market fluctuations, measuring heights and weights of a population, and in quality control processes. They are also commonly used to analyze data in fields such as psychology, biology, and economics.