1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Question. Normally distributed

1. May 11, 2012 #1
    1) (1 pt) The extract of a plant native to Taiwan has been tested as a possible treatment for Leukemia. One of the chemical compounds produced from the plant was analyzed for a particular collagen. The collagen amount was found to be normally distributed with μ=71 and σ= 8.5 grams per mililiter.

a) What is the probability that the amount of collagen is greater than 65 grams per mililiter?
    Answer: 0.761

b) What is the probability that the amount of collagen is less than 84 grams per mililiter?
    Answer: 0.937

c) What percentage of compounds formed from the extract of this plant fall within 1σ of μ(Not sure if this is the right symbol but it's supposed to stand for the mean)?
    Answer: ???

2) Relevant equations...
    P([(x-μ)/σ]<Z<[(x-μ)/σ])

Normally Distributed...
    f(x)=[1/(σ√(2pi))][e^(-0.5[(x-μ)/σ]^2)]

3. The attempt at a solution.
    I've tried everything I can think of. I used P([(62.5-71)/8.5]<Z<[(79.5-71)/8.5]) but it was wrong. I've attempted it 28 different ways. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In your expression above, where does the number 62.5 come from? Where does the 79.5 come from? Why do you have two inequalities on Z?

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook