Probability of finding an electron betweeen two spheres of radii?

In summary, this equation calculates the probability of finding the electron between two spheres of radii. The sphere with a radius of 5.00a0 has a probability of finding the electron of 3.59% while the sphere with a radius of 5.01a0 has a probability of finding the electron of 6.29%.
silversuz1

Homework Statement

For a hydrogen atom in a state with n=2 and l=0, calculate the probability of finding the electron between two spheres of radii r = 5.00a0 and r = 5.01 a0.

Homework Equations

As stated above, calculate the probability of finding the electron in the given spheres of radii.

The Attempt at a Solution

Maybe it's something like this?

∫ psi^2 (r) dr, from r = 5.00a to r = 5.01a

= ∫ (1/32π(a^3)) * ((2 - ((r/a)^2))^2) * (e ^ (-r/a) dr, where π means pi.

= (after complicated processes of trying to find the integral) some unsolvable identity! D=

Physics news on Phys.org
Short answer: yes, that's the way to do it :)

Some hints:
First off all, apart from an overal constant you have to find the primitive function of:
[2-(r/a)^2]^2 exp(-r/a) = [4 - 4(r/a)^2 + (r/a)^4]exp(-r/a)

To find this you can use the following.
You know that:
∫ exp(-y b) dy = -(1/b) * exp(-y b)
Now differentiate left and right with respect to b, twice. This gives the following:
∫ y^2 exp(-y b) dy = -[2(1/b)^3+y(1/b)^2] exp(-y b) + (y/b)(1/b+y)exp(-y b)

which you can simplify a bit further, but I'll leave this up to you (also, my answer might be wrong, cause I'm being a bit sloppy with one eye on the tv ;) ). You can perfrom this trick again (differentiating twice) and that will give you an expression for the integral of y^4 exp(-yb)dy. Hopefully this puts you in the right direction.

Thanks! But...I'm still a bit confused. So in order to find the probability of finding the electron between the two spheres of radii, I have to differentate the integral? Doesn't that cancel it out?

No, no! That's just a trick to calculate the integral! You integrate over y, but you differentiate with respect to b. It's a neat little trick, but quite weird if you haven't seen it before. Try to work it out. You can post your results here.

Okay, I'll try it out. But just for an extra clarification, when you put exp(-y b), you substituted (-y b) (which equals -y/b?) in for r/a, correct?

All right, I'm going to try it now...thanks!

All right, I tried it. =.= I came out in circles. My ending was:

(1/(32pi(a^2))) * int((4-4u+(u^2))*(e^-u)) du, where u = r/a

And then I got stuck. :P

Can anyone please help by directing me in some direction? Thanks! (and I understand that xepma kindly helped me out, so thank you! But I'm still lost on where to go, because I have tried the integral, but I just can't seem to get it. =.=)

1. What is the formula for calculating the probability of finding an electron between two spheres of radii?

The formula for calculating the probability of finding an electron between two spheres of radii is given by P = (1/4πε0)(V2-V1)/e, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, V2 is the potential at the outer sphere, V1 is the potential at the inner sphere, and e is the electron charge.

2. How does the distance between the two spheres affect the probability of finding an electron?

The distance between the two spheres has a direct effect on the probability of finding an electron. As the distance increases, the probability decreases, and as the distance decreases, the probability increases. This is because the potential difference between the two spheres decreases as the distance increases, resulting in a lower probability of finding an electron between them.

3. Can the probability of finding an electron between two spheres of radii be greater than 1?

No, the probability of finding an electron between two spheres of radii cannot be greater than 1. The maximum probability is 1, which occurs when the two spheres are in contact with each other and the potential difference between them is 0.

4. How does the radii of the spheres affect the probability of finding an electron?

The radii of the spheres also have an effect on the probability of finding an electron. As the radii of the spheres increase, the probability of finding an electron decreases. This is because a larger distance between the spheres results in a smaller potential difference, leading to a lower probability of finding an electron between them.

5. Can the probability of finding an electron between two spheres of radii be negative?

No, the probability of finding an electron between two spheres of radii cannot be negative. Probability is a measure of likelihood and cannot be negative. It ranges from 0 to 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.