1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of finding particle in shifted ground state

1. Nov 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At t<0 a particle is in the ground state of the potential V(x)= [tex] \frac{1}{2} mw^2x^2 [/tex]. At t=0 the potential is suddenly displaced by an amount x0 to V(x)= [tex] \frac{1}{2} mw^2(x-x_0)^2 [/tex] .

a) What is the probability of the particle being in the ground state; the first excited state?
    b) At t=[tex] \frac{2pi}{w} [/tex] write the wave function

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that the wave function should be [tex] Ψ_0(x,0)= (\frac{mw}{πh})^\frac{1}{4} e^ \frac{-mw(x-x_0)^2}{2h} [/tex]
    I'm not sure what I should do though in order to find the probability in the ground state.
    For the first excited energy I know I need to use the raising operator in order to get the wave function, which would give me [tex] (\frac{mw}{h})^\frac{1}{2} [/tex] times [tex] Ψ_0 [/tex] but again i'm unsure how to find the probability.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Express the original state in terms of the new ones.

4. Nov 24, 2014 #3
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean in order to go about doing that.

5. Nov 24, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The particle still has the same wavefunction after the potential has been changed.
    However, that no longer corresponds to an energy eigenstate.
    Expand the original wavefunction as a linear sum of the new energy eigenstates.
    What do the coefficients of the expansion represent?

6. Nov 24, 2014 #5
    So I should expand Ψ =∑CnΨn where |Cn|^2 is the probability of the new energy eigenstate?

7. Nov 24, 2014 #6
    Does the change in time from t<0 to t=0 not affect it in any way?

8. Nov 24, 2014 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The effect is in the possible outcome of future measurements.

9. Nov 24, 2014 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

This is the ground state of the system after the potential is displaced. It's not the state of the particle at ##t=0##, which is still in the state
    $$\Psi(x,0) = \left(\frac{m\omega}{πh}\right)^\frac{1}{4} e^{-\frac{m\omega x^2}{2h}}.$$ By the way, the frequency is denoted by the Greek letter ##\omega##, not ##w##.

Look up the definition of the probability amplitude. This is a basic definition you need to know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted