Probability of n position occupied by atoms

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the probability and microstate for a system with atoms located at normal lattice positions and interstitial positions with energy greater than a certain threshold. The approach involves considering the different arrangements of atoms and using combinatorics and the canonical ensemble to determine the probabilities.
hansbahia

Homework Statement

If you have atoms that are normally located at the normal lattice positions or at an interstitial position where energy >ε, how can I find the probability that n interstitial positions are occupied by atoms?
If we were to use large N how can I find the fraction of interstitial sites that are occupied as a function of the temperature?
How do I find the microstate?

Homework Equations

NCn
n=E/ε

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming that there are N normal locations and N interstitial locations and the energy of an atom in a normal lattice position can be set to 0
I know that # of ways to arrange the intersticial atoms is N!/n!(N-n)!
from there I don't know how to calculate de microstate nor the probability
I attempted at a solution of random variables therefore
P(n)=1/2n(N!/n!(N-n)!

Physics news on Phys.org
The way I understand the question is that for each atom, you can either be at the lattice position with energy εL or at an interstitial position with energy εI, εLI. Is that right? If it is, then each microstate is just of the form L,L,L,I,L,..., telling the position of each atom. The corresponding probability you get from the usual canonical ensemble consideration,
[tex] p = \frac{1}{Z} e^{-\beta E} [/tex]
and a probability for each macrostate you get using combinatorics, as you already guessed.

1. What is the concept of probability in relation to atoms occupying a specific position?

The probability of an atom occupying a specific position refers to the likelihood or chance of that atom being in that particular location. This is based on statistical calculations and can be influenced by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and intermolecular forces.

2. How is the probability of an atom occupying a specific position calculated?

The probability of an atom occupying a specific position can be calculated using the Boltzmann distribution, which takes into account the energy of the system and the number of possible microstates. This calculation is also dependent on the temperature and volume of the system.

3. Can the probability of an atom occupying a specific position be higher than 1?

No, the probability of an atom occupying a specific position cannot be higher than 1. This is because a probability of 1 means that the event is certain to occur, while a probability greater than 1 would imply that the event is more certain than certain, which is not possible.

4. How does the number of atoms in a system affect the probability of a specific position being occupied?

The number of atoms in a system does not directly affect the probability of a specific position being occupied. However, as the number of atoms increases, the overall probability of the system occupying that specific position also increases, as there are more atoms that could potentially occupy that position.

5. Is the probability of an atom occupying a specific position constant?

No, the probability of an atom occupying a specific position is not constant. It can change depending on external factors such as temperature, pressure, and intermolecular forces. Additionally, the probability can also change over time as atoms move and interact with each other within the system.