1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of Rolling a 5 or 7

1. Nov 17, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Probability of Rolling a 5 or 7

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pair of dice is rolled until a sum of either 5 or 7 appears. Find the probability that a 5 occurs first.

2. Relevant equations
    Axioms and basic theorems of probability.

3. The attempt at a solution
    There are 36 possible outcomes of a roll of a pair of dice, 4 of which result in a sum of 5 and 6 of which result in a sum of 7. Let A be event of rolling a 5 and B of rolling a 7. Then P(A) = 4/36 and P(B) = 6/36. The probability of rolling a 5 or 7 is P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) = 10/36. The probability of not rolling a 5 or 7 is thus 1 - 10/36 = 26/36.

Define E(n) as the event that the nth roll results in a 5 and let p(n) be it's probability. If the nth roll resulted in a 5, then there were no previous rolls resulting in 5 or 7, so p(n) is thus equal to (26/36)^(n - 1) * 4/36.

The probability sought then is just the sum of p(n) for all legal values of n, which is an infinite sum. Is this right? I don't know what the sum is but it must definitely be less than or equal to 4/36.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think you actually need to sum the infinite series. If you get to the nth roll without rolling a 5 or a 7 and then you roll a 5 or a 7, then the ratio of the two probabilities is just the ratio of the probability of rolling a 5 to that of rolling a 7. So if you choose to write an infinite series for each of the events, the ratio of each term in one series is a fixed ratio of the term in the other series.

4. Nov 17, 2007 #3
    Do you mean that P(5 occurs first) / P(7 occurs first) = P(rolling 5) / P(rolling 7)? That is certainly true so P(5 occurs first) = P(rolling 5) / P(rolling 7) * P(7 occurs first). However, that doesn't help much in computing the sought probability.

5. Nov 17, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Umm. I don't see the difference in the problems. You end up with either a 5 or a 7. There are no other possibilities.

6. Nov 17, 2007 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can do the infinite series, and it isn't too hard to do that. Use this identity:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n = \frac 1 {1-x}[/tex]

The identity is true for all [itex]x\;\in\;(-1,1)[/itex]

Before you do that, there is an even easier way to solve the problem, as suggested by Dick. Suppose you get the 5 or 7 on the first roll, or the tenth roll, or the one thousandth roll. All the previous rolls were neither a 5 or a 7. You can solve the problem simply by examining one single roll where you know a-priori that either a 5 or a 7 was rolled with a pair of fair dice. Given that information, what is the probability that a 5 was rolled?

7. Nov 17, 2007 #6
    You're saying that P(5 was rolled first) = P(5 was rolled | 5 or 7 was rolled) right?

Question: what does the sample space S look like for this problem? If e is in S then e has the form (e_1, e_2, ..., e_n). Each e_i is of the form (x, y) where x is the value of the upper face of one die and y is that of the other. If i = n, then x + y equals 5 or 7; otherwise x + y does not equal 5 or 7. S will contain such an e for all positive integers n.

If I'm examining one single roll, then the sample space is reduced considerably, i.e. it only contains e's of the form (e_1). How does this work?

8. Nov 17, 2007 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are 36 possible outcomes for rolling a pair of fair dice. How many of these outcomes sum to either 5 or 7?

9. Nov 17, 2007 #8
    I calculated that in my first post as 10/36.

10. Nov 18, 2007 #9

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. That is the unconditional probability of rolling a 5 with a pair of fair dice. You did not answer my question, which was how many of the thirty six total outcomes sum to either a 5 or 7? Note: I am asking for an integer, not a probability. This is the sample space. Now, how many of these sum to 5? This you can convert to a probability.

11. Nov 18, 2007 #10
    Oops. Sorry. That should be 10: (3,2), (2,3), (1,4), (4,1), (5,2), (2,5), (3,4), (4,3), (6,1), (1,6). Of these, the first 4 sum to 5. So you're saying the probability of getting a 5 first is 4/10? I guess it makes sense to ignore the previous rolls because they don't affect the outcome of the last roll; it's as if the last roll was my first roll.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?