Probability plot for Cauchy Distribution

In summary, the conversation revolves around the construction of a probability plot to show that Z1/Z2 follows a Cauchy distribution. The suggested procedure includes sorting, ranking, and performing median rank and inverse cumulative probability. However, there are concerns about the independence of the generated variables and the need for a substantial amount of data. Alternatively, it is suggested to prove that Z1/Z2 is a Cauchy distribution directly.
herjia
I have generated 2 columns of normal random variables, Z1 and Z2. Theorectically, Z1/Z2 will follow a Cauchy distribution. The question is, how do I construct a probability plot to show that indeed it is a Cauchy distribution?

I tried the follow procedure:
-Sort the Z1/Z2
-Rank them and store the rank on a new column, i
-perform median rank (herd-Johnson) i/n+1 where n is the sample size
-perform inverse cumulative probability on the median rank column
-plot the z1/z2 vs inverse cumulative probability

What i get is near the location, the data are linear while the deviation is serious at either extreme ends. any suggestion? or references?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's very very very important that the two standard normal variables you generated are independent. I don't know how you generated them so I don't know if they are.

It also goes without saying that you're going to need a sizeable amount of data to get anything meaningful.

Personally, I'd just prove that Z1/Z2 is a Cauchy distribution. It's fun!

A probability plot for a Cauchy distribution is a useful tool for visually assessing the fit of the data to the theoretical distribution. The procedure you have described is a commonly used method for constructing a probability plot. However, there are a few things to consider when interpreting the results.

First, it is important to note that the Cauchy distribution has heavy tails, meaning that extreme values are more likely to occur compared to a normal distribution. This can explain why you are seeing a linear relationship near the center of the plot, but deviations at the extreme ends. Therefore, it may be helpful to zoom in on the central portion of the plot to better assess the fit.

Another factor to consider is the sample size. The Cauchy distribution is known to have high variability, especially with smaller sample sizes. This can also contribute to the deviations you are seeing at the extreme ends of the plot. It may be helpful to increase the sample size to see if the plot becomes more linear.

Finally, it is always a good idea to compare the probability plot to a plot of the theoretical distribution. This can help you to assess the overall fit and identify any discrepancies.

In terms of references, there are many resources available online that discuss probability plots and their interpretation. You may also want to consult a statistics textbook or consult with a statistician for further guidance. Overall, it is important to keep in mind the characteristics of the Cauchy distribution when interpreting the results of your probability plot.

1. What is a probability plot for Cauchy Distribution?

A probability plot for Cauchy Distribution is a graphical representation of how well a set of data follows a Cauchy distribution. It plots the quantiles of the data against the quantiles of a theoretical Cauchy distribution, allowing for a visual comparison and assessment of the data's distribution.

2. How is a probability plot for Cauchy Distribution different from other probability plots?

A probability plot for Cauchy Distribution differs from other probability plots in that it uses a different theoretical distribution to compare the data against. In this case, it uses the Cauchy distribution instead of the more commonly used normal distribution.

3. How is a probability plot for Cauchy Distribution useful in data analysis?

A probability plot for Cauchy Distribution is useful in data analysis as it allows for the assessment of how well a set of data follows a Cauchy distribution, which is important in determining the appropriate statistical tests and models to use for the data. It also helps identify any outliers or deviations from the expected distribution.

4. Can a probability plot for Cauchy Distribution be used for small sample sizes?

Yes, a probability plot for Cauchy Distribution can be used for small sample sizes, as long as the data is independent and representative of the population. However, it may not be as reliable as larger sample sizes due to the potential for high variability.

5. How can one interpret a probability plot for Cauchy Distribution?

One can interpret a probability plot for Cauchy Distribution by comparing the data points to the diagonal line on the plot. If the data points fall close to the line, it suggests that the data follows a Cauchy distribution. If the points deviate significantly from the line, it indicates that the data may not follow a Cauchy distribution and further analysis may be needed.