1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Problem- im still stuck

1. Oct 15, 2006 #1
    Probability Problem- im still stuck !!

Hi i need help on the following question:

In a teashop 70% of customers order tea with milk, 20% tea with lemon and 10% with neither. of those taking tea with milk 3/5 take sugar, of those taking tea with lemon 1/4 take sugar, and of those taking tea with neither milk or lemon 11/20 take sugar. a customer is then chosem at random.

i need to find the probability that the customers take suggar or milk or both. i know that the answer is o.525 but i dont know how.

can anybody help me please???
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2006 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try writing them in term of sets.

Have you done this before?

Let A represent the customers that order tea with milk.
    Let B represent the customers that order tea with lemon.
    Let C represent... and so on.

Then with the question you should write the answer in terms of sets. Then use the rules that follow to find the solution.

Not sure if you've done this before though.
  4. Oct 15, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is what I get...

Define the events

E: he takes suggar
    F: he takes milk
    G:he takes lemon
    H:he takes neither milk nor lemon

Then what you're looking for is

[tex]P(E\cup F\cup EF)=P(E)+P(F)+P(EF)-P(EF)-P(EFE)-P(FEF)+P(EFEF) = P(E)+P(F)-P(EF)[/tex]

You know that P(F)=0.7, P(G)=0.2, P(H)=0.1, P(E|F)=3/5, P(E|G)=1/4, P(E|H)=11/20.

Since {F,G,H} forms a partition of the fundamental set, P(E) = P(E|F)P(F)+P(E|G)P(G)+P(E|H)P(H) = 3/5(0.7)+1/4(0.2)+11/20(0.1)=21/40=0.525

[tex]P(E\cup F\cup EF)=0.525+0.7-0.42=0.805[/tex]

Note that 0.525 is only the probability that he takes suggar.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?