Stuck with probability question involving tree diagram?

In summary: I really appreciate all of your help so far!In summary, Suzi has a 50-50 chance of reaching the green in two shots or less on one short hole if she uses the right club, and a 1-in-5 chance of reaching the green in two shots or less on one short hole if she uses the wrong club.
tantrik
Dear friends,

I'm unable to solve the following probability question. Please help me solve it. Thanks in advance. The answer given in the book is: 5/9 [for part (b)]. Don't know even if the answer is correct.

Suzi has taken up golf, and she buys a golf bag containing five different clubs. Unfortunately she does not know when to use each club, and so chooses them randomly for each shot. The probabilities for each shot that Suzi makes are shown below

Right club
--------------
Good shot - 2/3
Bad shot - 1/3

Wrong club
-----------------
Good shot - 1/4
Bad shot - 3/4

a) Use the above information to construct a tree diagram.
b) At one short hole, she can reach the green in one shot if it is 'good'. If her first shot is 'bad', it takes one more 'good' shot to reach the green. Find the probability that she reaches the green in at most two shots.

I drew the tree diagram given below. Don't know whether it is correct or not. Problem is what would be the values for P(right club) and P(wrong club). Still I don't know which outcomes should I take for finding the solution to part (b). Let me know what to do next.View attachment 5996

Attachments

• Tree diagram for part (a).jpg
    Tree diagram for part (a).jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 68
Mathematics news on Phys.org
tantrik said:
Dear friends,

I'm unable to solve the following probability question. Please help me solve it. Thanks in advance. The answer given in the book is: 5/9 [for part (b)]. Don't know even if the answer is correct.

Suzi has taken up golf, and she buys a golf bag containing five different clubs. Unfortunately she does not know when to use each club, and so chooses them randomly for each shot. The probabilities for each shot that Suzi makes are shown below

Right club
--------------
Good shot - 2/3
Bad shot - 1/3

Wrong club
-----------------
Good shot - 1/4
Bad shot - 3/4

a) Use the above information to construct a tree diagram.
b) At one short hole, she can reach the green in one shot if it is 'good'. If her first shot is 'bad', it takes one more 'good' shot to reach the green. Find the probability that she reaches the green in at most two shots.

I drew the tree diagram given below. Don't know whether it is correct or not. Problem is what would be the values for P(right club) and P(wrong club). Still I don't know which outcomes should I take for finding the solution to part (b). Let me know what to do next.

Hi tantrik! Welcome to MHB! ;)

You're tree diagram is fine for part b (for part a we shouldn't have the last level).

The values for 'right club' and 'wrong club' follow from "Unfortunately she does not know when to use each club, and so chooses them randomly for each shot".
It means 50-50.
That is, P(right club) = 1/2.

To solve part b, we need to sum the probabilities where at least one shot is good.
Or alternatively, which is easier, sum the probabilities where both shots are bad (the complement), and subtract it from 1.

I believe (trembling with terror) that I like Serena is wrong. Since there are 5 clubs and Suzi chooses the club for each shot at random, then (assuming there is exactly one club that is "right" for each shot), the probability Suzi chooses the right club is 1/5, the probability Suzi chooses the wrong club is 4/5.

I agree with HallsofIvy.
Oh, and sorry for coming down a bit hard last time round.

1. What is a tree diagram and why is it useful?

A tree diagram is a visual representation of a set of possible outcomes for a particular event or scenario. It is useful because it allows us to easily see and understand all the possible outcomes and their probabilities.

2. How do I construct a tree diagram for a probability question?

To construct a tree diagram, start by identifying all the possible outcomes for the first event. Then, for each of those outcomes, identify all the possible outcomes for the next event and connect them together. Continue this process until you have included all the events and their outcomes.

3. How do I calculate the probability of a specific outcome using a tree diagram?

To calculate the probability of a specific outcome, simply multiply the probabilities along the corresponding path on the tree diagram. For example, if the probability of event A is 0.5 and the probability of event B given event A is 0.2, then the probability of both A and B occurring is 0.5 x 0.2 = 0.1.

4. Can a tree diagram be used for events with more than two outcomes?

Yes, a tree diagram can be used for events with any number of outcomes. Simply add branches for each additional outcome and adjust the probabilities accordingly.

5. Are there any limitations to using a tree diagram for probability questions?

Tree diagrams are most useful for simple, independent events. They may become more complex and less useful when dealing with dependent or conditional events, or events with a large number of outcomes.