Probability problem of pairing up siblings

In summary: I left something out,, I meant if the sibling is paired with someone of the opposite sex.You should think the other way to solve this question, first consider choosing 10 persons, calculate each case from 1 male to 10, then for each case, the possibilities to have siblings or couples pair. Using excel sheet can easily get the answer.
ilvpat

Homework Statement

There are 10 sister/brother pairs, (S1,B1) ... , (S10,B10). We then divide the 20 people randomly into 10 (not necessarily female/male) pairs.

Let X be the number of female/male pairs. Find E(X)
Let Y be the number of pairs consisting of siblings (that is, sister got matched with her brother). Find E(Y)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I only know how to find out the total number of ways to select 10 pairs, that's (20,2)+(18,2)+(16,2)+...+(2,2). (x,y) means x choose y

Please help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly notice whether you can have odd number of bro - sis pairs. What would be the probability of odd x then?

Now going to even x. For example let's take x = 2. How many ways of selecting two bro - sis pairs exist? Clearly to make a pair you need to choose 1 bro and 1 sis out of 10 each. For the next pair, 1 bro and i sis out of 9 each. Then you just need to pair up 8 boys and 8 girls into boy-boy and girl-girl pairs.

Calculate that and then divide by the total number of ways of pairing the 20 siblings. This will give you p(x=2). You can similarly find p(x) for other even x.

It's often much easier to find the expectation of a random variable than all the probabilities,
because E(X+Y) = E(X) + E(Y) always.

suppose [itex] X_i [/itex] is 1 if sibling i is member of a pair, and 0 otherwise, what is [itex] E(X_i) [/itex] ?

Now find the expected value of the total of pair-memberships, and find the number of pairs from that.

The second problem can be done in the same way.

willem2 said:
It's often much easier to find the expectation of a random variable than all the probabilities,
because E(X+Y) = E(X) + E(Y) always.

suppose [itex] X_i [/itex] is 1 if sibling i is member of a pair, and 0 otherwise, what is [itex] E(X_i) [/itex] ?

Now find the expected value of the total of pair-memberships, and find the number of pairs from that.

The second problem can be done in the same way.

When you say Xi is 1 if sibling is member of a pair, do you mean a pair of opposite sex? And does it mean both bro and sis in ith pair got assigned to another pair of opposite sex?

ilvpat said:
When you say Xi is 1 if sibling is member of a pair, do you mean a pair of opposite sex? And does it mean both bro and sis in ith pair got assigned to another pair of opposite sex?

For i = 1,2,..., 10, let ##I_i = 1## if sister S_i is paired with a boy, and ##I_i = 0## otherwise; and let ##J_i = 1## if sister S_i is paired with her brother, and let ##J_i = 0## otherwise. Try to express X and Y in terms of the ##I_i## and/or ##J_i##.

ilvpat said:

sorry, I left something out,, I meant if the sibling is paired with someone of the opposite sex.

You should think the other way to solve this question, first consider choosing 10 persons, calculate each case from 1 male to 10, then for each case, the possibilities to have siblings or couples pair. Using excel sheet can easily get the answer.

1. What is the probability of two siblings being paired up in a group of four?

The probability of two siblings being paired up in a group of four is 1/3. This can be calculated by dividing the number of pairs by the total number of possible pairs, which in this case is 3/12 or 1/3.

2. How does the number of siblings in a group affect the probability of being paired up?

The more siblings there are in a group, the higher the probability of being paired up. For example, in a group of six siblings, the probability of two siblings being paired up is 5/15 or 1/3, which is higher than in a group of four siblings.

3. Is the probability of being paired up affected by the gender of the siblings?

No, the gender of the siblings does not affect the probability of being paired up. The probability remains the same regardless of the gender of the siblings.

4. Can the probability of being paired up change if there are more than two siblings in a group?

Yes, the probability of being paired up can change if there are more than two siblings in a group. For example, in a group of eight siblings, the probability of two siblings being paired up is 7/28 or 1/4, which is lower than in a group of six siblings.

5. How can we use the probability of pairing up siblings in real-life situations?

The probability of pairing up siblings can be used in situations where siblings are randomly assigned to groups, such as in sports teams or group projects. It can also be used in studies and experiments involving siblings, to ensure that they are equally distributed among groups.