Probability - equation involving prime number

In summary, Homework Equations state that if x, y, and p are integers, then the equation has a solution set that contains both x and y, where x and y are coprime. It is possible to find this solution set with the help of ab, ac, and b and c, which are both coprime. Additionally, it is possible to deduce which of the two relationships between x and y is true by solving for x and y in the equation.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Consider the equation as given ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}=\frac{1}{p}## where ##x, y, z, p \in I^+## and ##p## is a prime number & ##(x,y)## represents the solution pair then
A)probability x<y is 1/3
B)probability that x>y is 5/6
C)probability that x≠y is 2/3
D)probability that x=y is 1/6

(There can be more than one answers correct)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am a dumb at these probability questions so I need a few hints to start with. The only thing I can think of is start with plugging a few numbers. For p=3, x=y=6, for p=5, x=y=10 but this is definitely not the way to solve the problem. I believe that there is a much better and an elegant way to solve this problem.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Factor x and y into ab, ac, where b and c are defined to be coprime. What can you deduce about b and c?

haruspex said:
Factor x and y into ab, ac, where b and c are defined to be coprime. What can you deduce about b and c?

I am having trouble understanding your reply. Are you asking me to rewrite it like this:
##(x-p)(y-p)=p^2##? :confused:

The way I did this was to rearrange the equation thus:

$$p(x+y)=xy$$

which leads to the conclusion that at least one of x or y is a multiple of p.

Consider two cases: where x is a multiple of p and y is a multiple of p.

You should be able to find the complete solution set (x,y) with this.

You will be left with 3 infinite disjoint sets of ordered pairs (x,y) of equal cardinality (they are ennumerable with an index running through all primes).

From this, you should be able to deduce which of the relationships is/are true (hint: exactly two).

Pranav-Arora said:
I am having trouble understanding your reply. Are you asking me to rewrite it like this:
##(x-p)(y-p)=p^2##? :confused:
I was defining a to be the HCF of x and y, thus x = ab, y = ac, where b and c are coprime.
p(x+y)=xy gives p(b+c) = abc. Suppose q is a factor of b. Can it be a factor of b+c?

1. What is the equation for finding the probability of a prime number?

The equation for finding the probability of a prime number is P(n) = 1/ln(n), where n is the number of possible outcomes.

2. How is the equation for probability involving prime numbers different from other equations?

The equation for probability involving prime numbers is different because it takes into account the concept of prime numbers, which are numbers that can only be divided by 1 and themselves. This means that the probability of a prime number occurring is lower than that of other numbers.

3. Can the equation be used to find the probability of a specific prime number?

No, the equation is used to find the overall probability of a prime number occurring, not a specific prime number. However, by plugging in different values for n, you can determine the probability of any given prime number within a set of possible outcomes.

4. How can the equation be applied in real-world situations?

The equation can be applied in real-world situations where there is a set of possible outcomes that includes prime numbers. For example, in a lottery where numbers are chosen randomly, this equation can be used to calculate the probability of winning with a prime number.

5. Are there any limitations to using this equation for probability involving prime numbers?

Yes, this equation is based on the assumption that the set of possible outcomes is equally likely. In real-world situations, this may not always be the case, so the calculated probability may not accurately reflect the actual probability of a prime number occurring.