Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Question - Chances Of Meeting Again

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question is pretty straight forward. What is the probability of a person meeting another person 11 years after they have last seen each other. There are of course factors such as relationship, age, location and all that but we are assuming all of the people this person has encountered in their lifetime would have an equal chance.

2. Relevant equations

We also assume this given person interacts with about 3 people everyday and lives to be 62.

62years X 365days X 3 people= 67.890 people on average

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2
    This may not be the reply you are looking for, but the answer is 1.

I dont see the significance of 11 years (unless you ask about something that has already happened, in which case the probability also is 1), so I assume 10 years or more will do. I have met long lost friends several times, and I assume this happens at least once, on average, in everyones lives. With that mild assumption you get close to half a million such occurrences every day.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook