Probability question on soft-drink machine

In summary, the problem is asking for the probability that each of 15 customers will be able to purchase their desired drink from a soft-drink machine that currently has 10 cans of regular Coke and 10 cans of Diet Coke, with 60% of all purchases being diet drinks. The solution involves using the binomial distribution to calculate the probability of each individual customer being able to purchase their desired drink, and then adding those probabilities together to get the overall probability. Alternatively, the hypogeometric distribution can also be used to solve the problem.
cse63146

Homework Statement

A soft-drink machine dispenses only regular Coke and Diet Coke. 60 percent of all purchases from this machine are diet drinks. The machine currently has 10 cans of each type. If 15 customers want to purchase drinks prior to the machine being restocked, what is the prob that each of the 15 is able to purchase the type of drink desired?

Homework Equations

Binomial distribution

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it's a binomial distribution. So - 20C15*(0.6)^15*(0.4)^5?

But it doesn't seem right.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want a probability, while what you have is clearly much greater than 1. (I'm sorry, I don't know what you were trying to do)

Surely the first 10 people can buy whatever they want right? What about the 11th? And the 12th?

There probably is a shortcut, but I would consider the 11th-15th people separately, and add them all up.

queenofbabes said:
You want a probability, while what you have is clearly much greater than 1. (I'm sorry, I don't know what you were trying to do)
No, it is NOT "clearly much greater then 1". In fact it is about 0.07465.

Surely the first 10 people can buy whatever they want right? What about the 11th? And the 12th?

There probably is a shortcut, but I would consider the 11th-15th people separately, and add them all up.

Hey, he edited it at some point >.<

I edited a few typos. The equation I did not touch.

But I got the anwers anyways.

would it have been possible to do it through the hypogeometric distribution?

Thanks, I did it through the hypogeometric distribution.

Thank you for your help.

What is the probability of getting a specific soft drink from a soft-drink machine?

The probability of getting a specific soft drink from a soft-drink machine depends on the number of available options and the frequency at which each option is stocked. For example, if there are 10 different soft drinks available and each one is stocked equally, the probability of getting a specific soft drink would be 1/10 or 10%.

How does the probability of getting a soft drink change if I have already purchased one?

The probability of getting a soft drink does not change based on previous purchases. Each time you make a selection, the probability remains the same, assuming the machine is not restocked in between purchases.

What factors influence the probability of a soft drink machine running out of a specific drink?

The factors that influence the probability of a soft drink machine running out of a specific drink include the number of options available, the frequency at which the machine is restocked, and the popularity of certain drinks among customers.

How can I calculate the probability of getting a specific soft drink if the machine is not restocked regularly?

If the soft drink machine is not restocked regularly, it is difficult to accurately calculate the probability of getting a specific drink. However, you can estimate the probability by observing the frequency at which the machine is restocked and the popularity of certain drinks among customers.

Is it possible to manipulate the soft drink machine to increase the probability of getting a specific drink?

No, it is not possible to manipulate the soft drink machine to increase the probability of getting a specific drink. The machine operates based on a random selection process and cannot be influenced by external factors.