Probability: sampling without replacement

In summary, the problem involves drawing 10 balls without replacement from a container containing 30 red, 30 white, and 30 blue balls. The goal is to find the probability that at least one color will not be selected. After considering various solutions, the correct approach is to calculate the probabilities of not selecting each color in succession, and then adding them together. However, this calculation must take into account the double counts that occur when one color is not selected.
bennyska

Homework Statement

there are 30 red balls, 30 white balls, and 30 blue balls in a container. you draw 10 of them, without replacement. what is the probability that at least one color won't be selected.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i've been working on this one for too long. someone gave me a solution, but after i thought about it i realized it didn't work if you don't replace. the best solution i could come up with is the following:
for the total number of possibilities, since i can draw 90 for my first, 89 for my second and so on, i have 90!/80! ways of drawing balls.
for the number which exclude one color, i have 90*89 (and here i have to reduce the pool by 30 so those don't get selected)*58*57*...51.
but then someone pointed out that order doesn't matter, and i wasn't sure if there was something i could multiply this number by to make order irrelevant.

as always, I'm looking for hints more than a solution. also, variations on this problem would be cool too. I'm here to learn, people!

Physics news on Phys.org
The probability that the first ball selected is NOT red is 60/90. The probability the second ball is not red is then 59/89, the probability that the third ball is not red is 58/88, etc. until the probability that the tenth ball selected is not red is 51/81. The probability that a red ball is not selected in 10 tries is the product of those.

Do the same with the probability that the balls selected are not white and then blue. The probability that, in 10 tries, one of the colors will not be selected is the sum of those.

so (60/90 * 59/89 * ... *51/81) * 3 = .0395. does that sound right?

You have to additionally get rid of the double counts that occur, for example, when you pick ten reds in a row. That's going to show up in both the "no white" and "no blue" categories.

What is probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

How is probability calculated in sampling without replacement?

The probability of an event occurring in sampling without replacement is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is then multiplied by the probability of each subsequent event occurring, taking into account the reduced number of available options.

What is sampling without replacement?

Sampling without replacement is a method of selecting a subset of items from a larger population without replacing the items that have already been selected. This means that the probability of selecting each subsequent item will change, as the number of available options decreases.

How does sampling without replacement differ from sampling with replacement?

In sampling with replacement, each item that is selected is returned to the population before the next selection is made. This means that the probability of selecting each item remains the same throughout the sampling process. In contrast, sampling without replacement does not return the selected items to the population, resulting in changing probabilities for each subsequent selection.

What are some real-life applications of sampling without replacement?

Sampling without replacement is commonly used in market research, where a sample of customers is selected without the possibility of selecting the same customer multiple times. It is also used in election polling, where a sample of voters is selected without the possibility of selecting the same voter multiple times.