Probability that a measurement of Sx will yield hbar for this state

In summary, the Townsend quantum mechanics book presents a problem involving the probability of obtaining a measurement of hbar for a spin 1 particle in the Sz basis. The given state, represented as a column vector |ψ>, is used to calculate the probability amplitude with the eigenstates of Sx. However, the resulting value is larger than 1 and the issue may be related to the normalization of the Lx eigenstate used. The individual also expresses difficulty with bases switching and requests a quick tip for solving such problems.
sabre729

Homework Statement

Alright, so there is a problem in the Townsend quantum mechanics book that reads: What is the probability that a measurement of Sx will yield the value hbar for this state:

The state is given by:
|ψ> = 1/sqrt(14) * (1,2,3i)
(But the vector is represented as a column vector in state ψ)

It's in the Sz basis, and it is a spin 1 particle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In another problem I determined the eigenstates of Sx for a spin 1 particle in terms of the eigenstates for |1,1>, |1,0>, |1,-1>. So I figured it would be easy to take that vector for hbar and just do the probability amplitude on it with the given ψ. That vector I have is:

(1, sqrt(2), 1)

Again as a column vector. Or row vector, either way really. But when I did that I got a value bigger than 1. So I'm obviously missing something here, and I was hoping someone could tell me what.

Also I have a huge issue when bases switch, and yes, it's just a lin alg thing and I should review it, but as I do, does anyone have a quick trick for these kinds of problems? It's really appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Check the normalization of the Lx eigenstate you used.

1. What is the meaning of "probability that a measurement of Sx will yield hbar for this state"?

The probability of a measurement of the observable Sx (spin in the x direction) yielding the value of hbar (Planck's constant divided by 2π) for a specific quantum state.

2. How is the probability calculated for this measurement?

The probability is calculated using the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics, specifically through the use of the Schrödinger equation and the wave function of the quantum state in question.

3. What factors influence the probability of obtaining hbar for a measurement of Sx?

The probability is influenced by the quantum state itself, as well as the particular observable being measured and the specific experimental setup used for the measurement.

4. Is the probability of obtaining hbar for a measurement of Sx always the same for a given quantum state?

No, the probability can vary depending on the specific quantum state and the observable being measured. It is also subject to the principles of quantum randomness, meaning that the exact outcome of a measurement cannot be predicted with certainty.

5. How does the probability of obtaining hbar for a measurement of Sx relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the precise values of certain pairs of observables, including Sx and Sy (spin in the y direction), simultaneously. This means that the probability of obtaining hbar for a measurement of Sx may be affected by the uncertainty surrounding the value of Sy for the same quantum state.