1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability that a measurement of Sx will yield hbar for this state

1. Oct 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Alright, so there is a problem in the Townsend quantum mechanics book that reads: What is the probability that a measurement of Sx will yield the value hbar for this state:

The state is given by:
    |ψ> = 1/sqrt(14) * (1,2,3i)
    (But the vector is represented as a column vector in state ψ)

It's in the Sz basis, and it is a spin 1 particle.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

In another problem I determined the eigenstates of Sx for a spin 1 particle in terms of the eigenstates for |1,1>, |1,0>, |1,-1>. So I figured it would be easy to take that vector for hbar and just do the probability amplitude on it with the given ψ. That vector I have is:

(1, sqrt(2), 1)

Again as a column vector. Or row vector, either way really. But when I did that I got a value bigger than 1. So I'm obviously missing something here, and I was hoping someone could tell me what.

Also I have a huge issue when bases switch, and yes, it's just a lin alg thing and I should review it, but as I do, does anyone have a quick trick for these kinds of problems? It's really appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Hint: Check the normalization of the Lx eigenstate you used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook