1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the collapse state after measuring Sx?

1. Dec 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So say I have a 1 qubit normalised state |ψ> = 1/√N(c1|z+> - c2|z->) and I make the measurement Sx and the measurement yields +hbar/2
    as |x+> is a superposition of both z+ & z- basis eigenstates does the collapsed state end up the same as the original state? Or would I need to take the inner product of <x+|ψ> to find the collapsed state? Confused. .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Its not really a direct homework problem its more of an understanding thing so my attempt is above in 1.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It doesn't matter what the original state is. If you know that the outcome of a measurement is "spin up" along the x axis, then the collapsed wave function is simply |x+>, independent of the original state |ψ>.

The complex number <x+|ψ> is the probability amplitude that the outcome of the measurement yields |x+>. If <x+|ψ> happened to be zero, then it would have been impossible for the measurement outcome to be spin up along x.

As long as <x+|ψ> is nonzero, then there is a nonzero probability |<x+|ψ>|2 that the outcome is spin up along x. If it does turn out that the outcome is spin up along x, then the measurement has collapsed |ψ> to |x+>

4. Dec 7, 2013 #3
    Ok great, that clears things up a lot, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted