1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Theory - conditional

1. Feb 1, 2007 #1
    Question:
    Deer ticks can carry both Lyme disease and human granulocytic ehrilichiosis (HGE). IN a study of ticks in the Midwest, it was found that 16% carried Lyme disease, 10% had HGE, and that 10% of the ticks that had either Lyme disease or HGE carried both diseases.

(a) What is the probability P[LH] that a tick carries both Lyme disease (L) and HGE (H)?

My Part:
    I don't know how to interpret this problem. Let me show my work thus far.

P[L] = 0.16
    P[H] = 0.1

Now this last part, how do I interpret this..."10% of the ticks that had either Lyme disease or HGE carried both diseases."

Like this? given that the ticks had L or HGE, then the ticks that both diseases. So I would write this as:

P[LH | (L U H)] = 0.1

I don't know if this is right though. Any help would be awesome, thanks!

another thought I had was:
    P[LH|L] + P[LH|H] = 0.1

This was the first one I did, but I got a probability of something like 0.006 which seems WAY to low.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2007 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

P[LH | (L U H)] = 0.1 sounds correct.

It is the probability that a deer has L AND H knowing that it has L OR H. It is basically what the problem is saying but it speaks in percentage of a quantity instead of in probability.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?