1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability with independent outcomes

1. Mar 12, 2008 #1
    Jeeserssweesers(for a lack of a better word), probability is confusing.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A family has three children, no twins or.. that same just with three.
    a| What is the chance that all the children are girls.

2. Relevant equations

The chapter here shows the equtations P(a)+P(b)=P(a)xP(b), but my problem here maybe is that I don't find the use of that in this question.

3. The attempt at a solution

This questions looks just like the same to me when you throw three coins and ask what the chance is for that you get three on one side(?). So I get 2(boy or girl)x2x2= 8 possible outcomes. And getting three on one side is one out of these 8 outcomes, same with getting three girls. So that gives: 1/8. (=0.125). But in my book the result shows 0.115.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, there are 8 possible outcomes: BBB, BBG, BGB, GBB, BGG, GBG, GGB, and GGG. 1 out of those 8 is GGG so the probability of "all girls" is 1/8= 0.125 as you say. I suspect that "0.115" is a typo.
  4. Mar 12, 2008 #3
    Yeah, I guessed so too, but then I've thought so before too and being wrong, so.. *g* Hm, I'll ask about b| soon.
  5. Mar 13, 2008 #4
    Yeah, b| the probability of that the eldest is a brother, and the two youngest girls. That is also just one outcomes yes? So that should give 1/8. But the answer writes as 0.121, which is not 1/8. ???
  6. Mar 13, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that would be specifically "GGB" and the probability is (1/2)(1/2)(1/2)= 1/8= 0.125. Surely they don't have another typo? This is beginning to look like shoddy editing!
  7. Mar 13, 2008 #6
    uh, are you joking with me, or am I writing down the question wrong(cause I know I have a bad habit of not reading the question at probability well enough)? Cause that was the way I was thinking as you above.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?