Problem 13.33 - Floating gasoline

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum amount of steel that can be used in a drum of gasoline without causing it to sink. The solution involves calculating the buoyant force of the gasoline, finding the maximum buoyant force of water, and determining the mass of steel that can be added without exceeding the maximum buoyant force. The error in the calculation is due to not accounting for the volume of the steel and its additional buoyancy.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

k.png

Homework Equations

: Densities[/B]
##\rho = 680 ## gasoline
##\rho = 1000 ## freshwater
##\rho = 7800 ## steel

The Attempt at a Solution

I first converted 210 liters to volume in m3 by dividing 210 by 1000. Then I used this volume and the given density to find the mass of the gasoline. ##\rho = \frac{m}{v} = \frac{m}{0.21} = 680## Therefore, ##m_g = 142.8##kg. The buoyant force can be determined by multiplying mg with 9.8. ##F_b = 1399.44 N##. That value is equal to the weight of the gasoline. We know that because the drum floats, the buoyant force is not at its maximum. I will find the maximum buoyant force that water can exert on an object with a volume of 0.21 m3, and then use that to determine the maximum volume of steel. ##m_{max}=1000(0.21) = 210 N## Thus, ##F_{buo-max}=2058 N##. 2058 - 1399.44 = 658.56 N. The amount of steel used must be equal to or less than 658.56 N. Dividing 658.56, we see that the mass of steel is 67.2 kg. Using ##\rho = \frac{m}{v} = \frac{67.2}{V} = 7800## my answer is ##0.008615## which is wrong. The correct answer, as seen in the picture above, it 0.0099. Where's my error? Thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
The steel also has a volume, leading to additional buoyancy. The buoyancy is neutral when the total mass divided by total volume of the gasoline+steel combination is equal to the water density.

1. What is floating gasoline?

Floating gasoline is a phenomenon where gasoline accumulates on the surface of water instead of sinking to the bottom. This can occur due to factors such as temperature, density, and the presence of other substances in the water.

2. Is floating gasoline dangerous?

Yes, floating gasoline can be dangerous as it can lead to fires and explosions. It can also harm aquatic life and contaminate water sources.

3. How does floating gasoline affect the environment?

Floating gasoline can have harmful effects on the environment. It can contaminate water sources, harm aquatic life, and contribute to air pollution if it evaporates into the atmosphere.

4. What causes gasoline to float?

Gasoline floats due to its lower density compared to water. This means that it is less dense and therefore lighter than water, causing it to stay on the surface rather than sinking.

5. How can floating gasoline be prevented?

Floating gasoline can be prevented by properly storing and handling gasoline. This includes using proper containers, avoiding spills, and ensuring proper ventilation to prevent evaporation. Additionally, using alternative fuels and promoting energy conservation can also help reduce the use of gasoline and prevent its negative effects on the environment.