Tension Problem: Maximum Forces for Two Ropes Connected to a Body

• Thread starter arpon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, when an instantaneous force is applied to the system, the lower of the two ropes will break first.
arpon

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG
[/B]
A body is connected at the middle with two different ropes as in the figure. The maximum force that rope A can resist is 60 N, and for rope B its 50 N. What will happen if someone apply a downward force at the loose end of rope B, a) gradually b) very fast

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My opinion is: if the force is greater than 50N, rope B will tear for both cases. Nothing will happen to rope A.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the diagram represents a vertical configuration, the mass of the body is relevant.

When the applied force is is gradual the tensions in both the strings have to be identical and equal to the applied force, if we neglect the mass of the body, as the body remains at rest in a permanent fashion. So as F increase it will reach 50 N first and then become 60 N so lower rope will break first. I am not able to think about the sudden application of force.

Last edited:
I think in second case also the lower rope will break first. if weight of the body cannot be neglected, then when you apply force even if suddenly the two tensions have to be equal but the lower rope may have less tension at any instant as in the beginning lower rope has zero tension and the tension is upper rope is equal to the weight of the body. So it is possible that at some instance above is 60 N and the lower one is below 50 N, in that case the upper rope will break.

PeroK said:
Assuming the diagram represents a vertical configuration, the mass of the body is relevant.
The mass was not given in the problem.

If the mass is 7kg, say, then the upper rope will break without any additional force being applied.

If it's 5kg, then the upper rope will break when the applied force reaches about 12N.

PeroK said:
If the mass is 7kg, say, then the upper rope will break without any additional force being applied.

If it's 5kg, then the upper rope will break when the applied force reaches about 12N.
Then I guess the mass is negligible.

arpon said:
Then I guess the mass is negligible.

Then you essentially have two ropes joined together and the lesser rope will always break first.

What about the case where the mass is 5kg and you apply a force of,say, 100N instantaneously?

How is the force transmitted to the upper rope?

PeroK said:
Then you essentially have two ropes joined together and the lesser rope will always break first.

What about the case where the mass is 5kg and you apply a force of,say, 100N instantaneously?

How is the force transmitted to the upper rope?
Won't rope B break?

arpon said:
Won't rope B break?

That's what you have to work out. You need a free body diagram.

PeroK said:
That's what you have to work out. You need a free body diagram.
I am confused about how the force will be transmitted.

Hi arpon ,

In part b) , when the downward force is applied very fast , will the acceleration of the mass/body be large or small ?

Vibhor said:
Hi arpon ,

In part b) , when the downward force is applied very fast , will the acceleration of the mass/body be large or small ?
Will the mass be accelarated? Won't the rope break if the force exceeds the limit of 50N?

arpon said:
Will the mass be accelarated?

Won't a large sudden force try to accelerate the bottom rope ? Isn't rope connected to the mass ? Won't the string and rope have same acceleration till the time they are connected ?

arpon said:
Won't the rope break if the force exceeds the limit of 50N?

This is what we are trying to find .

Likes arpon
arpon said:
I am confused about how the force will be transmitted.
It's perhaps not a good question. My thinking is:

1) the maximum tension in A is the tension in B plus ##mg##. If ##mg## is less than 10N then B must break first.

2) If ##mg## is greater than 10N then under a gradual increase in force, A must break first. But, under an instantaneous force it's not so clear what happens. If you assume that the system is rigid and the tension travels almost infinitely fast, then A will break.

Edit: Corrected A and B.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
It's perhaps not a good question. My thinking is:

1) the maximum tension in B is the tension in A plus ##mg##. If ##mg## is less than 10N then A must break first.

2) If ##mg## is greater than 10N then under a gradual increase in force, B must break first. But, under an instantaneous force it's not so clear what happens. If you assume that the system is rigid and the tension travels almost infinitely fast, then B will break.
12.png

I think the maximum tension in B is the tension in A minus ##mg##.

arpon said:
View attachment 101953
I think the maximum tension in B is the tension in A minus ##mg##.
Yes, I got A and B mixed up!

1. What is a tension problem?

A tension problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the maximum forces that can be applied to two ropes that are connected to a body. This type of problem is commonly used in mechanical engineering and other fields to determine the maximum load that can be placed on a system.

2. How are tension problems solved?

Tension problems are typically solved by using equations and principles from classical mechanics, specifically Newton's laws of motion. These equations can be used to calculate the tension in each rope and determine the maximum forces that can be applied to the system.

3. What are the factors that affect tension in a system?

The tension in a system is affected by several factors, including the weight of the body, the angle of the ropes, and the strength of the materials used for the ropes. In addition, the presence of any external forces or friction can also affect the tension in the system.

4. What is the importance of solving tension problems?

Solving tension problems is important in order to ensure the safety and stability of a system. By determining the maximum forces that can be applied to a system, engineers and scientists can design structures and machines that can withstand these forces without breaking or failing.

5. How do tension problems relate to real-world applications?

Tension problems have many real-world applications, including in the design and construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures. They are also important in the development of machines and devices that require strong and durable materials, such as cranes and elevators.