Problem concerning permutation groups

In summary, the problem concerning permutation groups is that there is no p such that p^2 (the second permutation) = u.
wurth_skidder_23
Here is the problem concerning permutation groups:

u =
1 2 3 4
-------
3 4 2 1

Show that there is no p such that p^2 (the second permutation) = uI've tried just substituting values for p1, p2, p3 and p4 in:
1 2 3 4
------------
p1 p2 p3 p4

p1 = 1 doesn't work because 1 would never go to 3 the second time

p1 = 2, p2 = 3, p3 = 4, p4 = 2, which doesn't work because 4 doesn't go to 1 the second time, it goes to 3.

p1 = 3 doesn't work because then p3 would also have to be 3, so 3 wouldn't go to 2 the second time

p1 = 4, p2 = 1, p3 = 1, p4 = 3, which doesn't work because 3 goes to 4 instead of the required 2.

Is this sufficient to show what's being asked?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What about the other permutations for p1=2,4?

I wrote those in the order I would do the second permutation. If it doesn't work in that order, it isn't going to work in any other order.

I'm saying, if you want that to count as a proof, you have to clearly explain why the other permutations won't work.

If p1 = 2, then p2 has to equal 3 for p1 to go to 3 the second time. That means p3 = 4 for 2 to go to 4 the second time. For those to hold true, p4 = 2 so 3 goes to 2, but then 4 goes to 2 which goes to 3, so it doesn't hold.

Similarly, if p1 = 4, then p4 = 3. 3 has to go to 1 for p4 to go to 1 on the second permutation, so p3 = 1. If p3 = 1, then p1 = 2 so 3 goes to 2 on the second permutation. Also, p2 = 1 because 1 goes to 4 and 2 has to go to 4 on the second permutation, but this means 3 goes to 1 which goes to 4, so 3 goes to 4 on the second permutation, which doesn't hold for u.

That works. Alternatively, do you know about the sign of permutations? This will give a one line proof.

I know about the sign, but I don't see where you're going. We call it the signature in our book. It would be great to know how to prove it without brute force. I'm an engineering major, so I'm not great at proofs.

Last edited:
Well if the sign of permutation p1 is e1 (which is either +/-1) and the sign of p2 is e2, then the sign of p1 p2 (ie, p1 followed by p2) is e1*e2. So what is the sign of p1^2?

It would have to be 1. I see now, thanks. I should've thought of that.

What are permutation groups?

Permutation groups are mathematical objects that represent symmetries or rearrangements of a set of elements. They are typically used to study and solve problems related to group theory, combinatorics, and abstract algebra.

How are permutation groups represented?

Permutation groups can be represented in several ways, including through cycle notation, matrix notation, and using generators and relations. Each representation has its own advantages and is useful for different types of problems.

What is the order of a permutation group?

The order of a permutation group is the number of elements in the group, which is equal to the number of permutations that can be formed by rearranging the elements. This number can be calculated using the factorial function, n!, where n is the number of elements in the group.

What is the significance of permutation groups?

Permutation groups have many applications in various fields of mathematics, such as in cryptography, coding theory, and the study of symmetry and patterns. They also have practical applications in computer science, physics, and chemistry.

How are problems concerning permutation groups solved?

There are various techniques and algorithms for solving problems related to permutation groups, such as analyzing their structure, using group actions, and applying theorems and properties of group theory. Computer programs and software can also be used to solve more complex problems involving permutation groups.