1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem finding the transformation in this case

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    give the matrix in the transformation T in each case:
    T: is a reflection in the line y= -x

2. Relevant equations
    none that i know of for this question

3. The attempt at a solution
    i know y= -x goes from the top left to bottom right in a cartesian plane, so the reflection of the line with initial point (1,1) in the first quadrant would end up in the third quadrant. i get my answer as:
    -1 0
    0-1
    but the answer in the back of the book is:
    0 -1
    -1 0
    why is their matrix the exact opposite as mine?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, what does the vector(1,1) become once it is reflected along the line y=-x?

4. Nov 8, 2008 #3
    it becomes (-1,-1)

5. Nov 8, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good, that means that:

[tex]T \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

How would you go about solving this for T?

6. Nov 8, 2008 #5
    im not sure with this one,wait would you just rearrange to find t?

7. Nov 8, 2008 #6
    but how does it end up being:
    0 -1
    -1 0
    and not
    -1 0
    0 -1
    ?

8. Nov 8, 2008 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is more than one method, but I would write:

[tex]T \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} T_{11} & T_{12} \\ T_{21} & T_{22} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Then carry out the matrix multiplication and solve for the components of T....if you want to use this method, you will also need another equation of the same form...what does T do to the vector (-1,1)?

9. Nov 8, 2008 #8
    i still dont see how since the point (1,1) is transformed to (-1,-1) it gives
    0 -1
    -1 0
    when i see this it says to me, that y= -1 from the first column when i think it should be x=-1 in the first column and likewise with the second column

10. Nov 8, 2008 #9

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, what is T suuposed to do to the vector (-1,1)....does your T actually do that?

Since there are 4 unique elements to T, you need four equations to solve for them...looking at the effect of T on a single vector only gives you two equations, so you need to consider the effect on two vectors.

11. Nov 8, 2008 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If A is a linear transformation from vector space V to itself and {e1, e2, ..., en} is a basis for V, you can find the matrix representation for A by applying to each of the basis vectors in turn. For example, suppose the matrix representation of A, in that basis, is
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc}a_{11} & a_{12} & a{13} \\ a_{21} & a_{22} & a_{23} \\ a_{31} & a{32} & a_{33}\end{array}\right][/tex]
    then, since the array representation of the basis vectors is just [1, 0, 0], [0, 1, 0], [0, 0 , 1], Applying A to e1 is just
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc}a_{11} & a_{12} & a{13} \\ a_{21} & a_{22} & a_{23} \\ a_{31} & a{32} & a_{33}\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{array}\left]= \left[\begin{array}{c} a_{11} \\ a_{21} \\ a_{31}\end{array}\right][/tex]
    That is, applying A to e1 tells us what the first column is, e2, the second column, etc.

The standard basis for R2 is {[1 0], [0 1]}. Applying A to [1 0] gives [0 -1] and applying A to [0 1] is [0 -1] and to [0 1], [-1 0] so the matrix is
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & -1 \\-1 & 0\end{array}\right][/tex]

However, if we use basis {[0 1],[1 0]}, that is the same vectors but in different order, that swaps the columns for A:
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} -1 & 0 \\0 & -1\end{array}\right][/tex]

In the first example, e1= [1 0], e2= [0 1]. In the second example, e1= [0 1], e2= [1 0].

Same vector space, same linear transformation, same vectors in each basis but, because the order or basis vectors is different, different bases and so different matrices.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?