Problem finding the transformation in this case

In summary: The fact that the linear transformation is a reflection in y= -x is hidden in the elements of the matrix representation because a different basis was used.In summary, the transformation T is a reflection in the line y= -x and its matrix representation depends on the basis used. The matrix given in the book is the result of using a different basis, which results in the elements appearing in a different order. To solve for the components of T, we need to consider the effect of T on at least two different vectors and use the equations derived from those effects.
subopolois

Homework Statement

give the matrix in the transformation T in each case:
T: is a reflection in the line y= -x

Homework Equations

none that i know of for this question

The Attempt at a Solution

i know y= -x goes from the top left to bottom right in a cartesian plane, so the reflection of the line with initial point (1,1) in the first quadrant would end up in the third quadrant. i get my answer as:
-1 0
0-1
but the answer in the back of the book is:
0 -1
-1 0
why is their matrix the exact opposite as mine?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what does the vector(1,1) become once it is reflected along the line y=-x?

gabbagabbahey said:
Well, what does the vector(1,1) become once it is reflected along the line y=-x?

it becomes (-1,-1)

Good, that means that:

[tex]T \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

How would you go about solving this for T?

gabbagabbahey said:
Good, that means that:

[tex]T \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

im not sure with this one,wait would you just rearrange to find t?

gabbagabbahey said:
Good, that means that:

but how does it end up being:
0 -1
-1 0
and not
-1 0
0 -1
?

There is more than one method, but I would write:

[tex]T \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} T_{11} & T_{12} \\ T_{21} & T_{22} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Then carry out the matrix multiplication and solve for the components of T...if you want to use this method, you will also need another equation of the same form...what does T do to the vector (-1,1)?

gabbagabbahey said:
There is more than one method, but I would write:

[tex]T \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} T_{11} & T_{12} \\ T_{21} & T_{22} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Then carry out the matrix multiplication and solve for the components of T...if you want to use this method, you will also need another equation of the same form...what does T do to the vector (-1,1)?

i still don't see how since the point (1,1) is transformed to (-1,-1) it gives
0 -1
-1 0
when i see this it says to me, that y= -1 from the first column when i think it should be x=-1 in the first column and likewise with the second column

Well, what is T suuposed to do to the vector (-1,1)...does your T actually do that?

Since there are 4 unique elements to T, you need four equations to solve for them...looking at the effect of T on a single vector only gives you two equations, so you need to consider the effect on two vectors.

If A is a linear transformation from vector space V to itself and {e1, e2, ..., en} is a basis for V, you can find the matrix representation for A by applying to each of the basis vectors in turn. For example, suppose the matrix representation of A, in that basis, is
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc}a_{11} & a_{12} & a{13} \\ a_{21} & a_{22} & a_{23} \\ a_{31} & a{32} & a_{33}\end{array}\right][/tex]
then, since the array representation of the basis vectors is just [1, 0, 0], [0, 1, 0], [0, 0 , 1], Applying A to e1 is just
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc}a_{11} & a_{12} & a{13} \\ a_{21} & a_{22} & a_{23} \\ a_{31} & a{32} & a_{33}\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{array}\left]= \left[\begin{array}{c} a_{11} \\ a_{21} \\ a_{31}\end{array}\right][/tex]
That is, applying A to e1 tells us what the first column is, e2, the second column, etc.

The standard basis for R2 is {[1 0], [0 1]}. Applying A to [1 0] gives [0 -1] and applying A to [0 1] is [0 -1] and to [0 1], [-1 0] so the matrix is
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & -1 \\-1 & 0\end{array}\right][/tex]

However, if we use basis {[0 1],[1 0]}, that is the same vectors but in different order, that swaps the columns for A:
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} -1 & 0 \\0 & -1\end{array}\right][/tex]

In the first example, e1= [1 0], e2= [0 1]. In the second example, e1= [0 1], e2= [1 0].

Same vector space, same linear transformation, same vectors in each basis but, because the order or basis vectors is different, different bases and so different matrices.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is problem finding in scientific research?

Problem finding, also known as problem formulation, is the process of identifying and defining a research problem or question to be investigated.

2. Why is problem finding important in scientific research?

Problem finding is important because it sets the foundation for the entire research process. A well-defined problem leads to a clear research question and helps guide the study design and data analysis.

3. How do scientists determine the transformation needed for a research problem?

Scientists determine the transformation needed for a research problem by first thoroughly understanding the current state and identifying the desired outcome. They then use their knowledge and expertise to identify potential approaches or solutions to bridge the gap between the two.

4. What are some common challenges in problem finding?

Some common challenges in problem finding include lack of clarity or understanding of the problem, limited resources or expertise, and difficulty in identifying potential solutions. It can also be challenging to find a balance between being too broad or too narrow in defining the problem.

5. How can scientists improve their problem finding skills?

Scientists can improve their problem finding skills by continuously honing their critical thinking and analytical abilities. They should also actively seek out diverse perspectives and collaborate with others to generate new ideas and approaches. Practice and experience in problem finding can also help improve this skill.