Problem for Theorem of Uniqueness

In summary: The usual way you tackle this kind of thing is proof by contradiction and examine the integral:\int \left| \frac{dw}{dx}\right|^{2}dxwhere w=u-v and u and v solve the original equation.I think in this case though, you can solve the general equation (without using the iniicial/boundary condition) and show that it's solution depends upon a single parameter. That parameter is determined with the condition you were given.Did you mean that my way and answer is wrong? This problem should be verified by using the theorem of uniqueness. I got y(t)=(4x^2)-64. Then can i say that this
peace-Econ

Homework Statement

Check if the given initial value problem has a unique solution

Homework Equations

y'=y^(1/2), y(4)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

f=y^(1/2) and its partial derivative 1/2(root of y) are continuous except where y<=0. We can take any rectangle R containing the initial value point (4,0). Then the hypothesis of theorem of uniqueness is satisfied.

I want to make sure if this way is correct. Some help please.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The usual way you tackle this kind of thing is proof by contradiction and examine the integral:
[tex]
\int \left| \frac{dw}{dx}\right|^{2}dx
[/tex]
where [itex]w=u-v[/itex] and u and v solve the original equation.

I think in this case though, you can solve the general equation (without using the iniitial/boundary condition) and show that it's solution depends upon a single parameter. That parameter is determined with the condition you were given.

Did you mean that my way and answer is wrong? This problem should be verified by using the theorem of uniqueness.

I got y(t)=(4x^2)-64. Then can i say that this is a unique solution?

As I don't know the theorem you're using I can't say either way.

sorry, you're right. The theorem I was trying to use is that if f and its partial derivative is continuous on the rectangle containing the given initial value problem, we can say that it has a unique theorem.

peace-Econ said:

Homework Statement

Check if the given initial value problem has a unique solution

Homework Equations

y'=y^(1/2), y(4)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

f=y^(1/2) and its partial derivative 1/2(root of y) are continuous except where y<=0. We can take any rectangle R containing the initial value point (4,0). Then the hypothesis of theorem of uniqueness is satisfied.
It would help if you actually stated the theorem you are using. I suspect you are using
"The initial value problem y'= f(x,y), [itex]y(x_0)= y_0[/itex], has a unique solution in some neighborhood of the point [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] if both f(x,y) and [itex]f_y(x,y)[/itex] are continuous in some neighborhood of that point."
No, you cannot "take any rectangle R containing the initial value point (4, 0)" because that will necessarily include points where y<= 0, where the functions are NOT continuous.

I want to make sure if this way is correct. Some help please.

Thanks!

What is the Problem for Theorem of Uniqueness?

The Problem for Theorem of Uniqueness is a mathematical concept that states that a mathematical object can only have one unique solution. This means that there cannot be multiple answers or solutions to a problem.

Why is the Problem for Theorem of Uniqueness important?

The Theorem of Uniqueness is important because it helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of mathematical calculations and proofs. It also allows for the simplification of mathematical concepts and avoids confusion or ambiguity in solutions.

What are some examples of the Theorem of Uniqueness in action?

Some practical examples of the Theorem of Uniqueness include the uniqueness of prime factorization, the uniqueness of the derivative of a function, and the uniqueness of solutions to differential equations.

Are there any exceptions to the Theorem of Uniqueness?

While the Theorem of Uniqueness generally holds true, there are some exceptions in certain mathematical systems. For example, in non-Euclidean geometries, there may be multiple parallel lines through a given point, which goes against the Theorem of Uniqueness in Euclidean geometry.

How is the Problem for Theorem of Uniqueness related to other mathematical concepts?

The Theorem of Uniqueness is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as uniqueness theorems, which state that under certain conditions, a unique solution to a problem exists. It is also related to the concept of uniqueness in set theory, which states that a set can only contain unique elements.