Problem in magnetic effects of current

In summary, the conversation is about determining the formula to use for calculating the force of a magnetic field on a moving electron near a current-carrying wire. The equations being considered include f= BqV SIN\theta, f= BIl sin\theta, and f=4*3.14*10^-7* I1*I2* L)/(2*3.14*a), with the need to determine if the force is on a single charge, a single wire, or between two wires.
logearav

Homework Statement

a long straight wire carries a current of 2A. an electron travels with a speed of 4*10^4 m/s parallel to the wire at a distance of 0.1 metre from it. what force does the magnetic field exert on the moving electron

Homework Equations

what formula should i use? is it f= BqV SIN[tex]\theta[/tex] or f= BIl sin[tex]\theta[/tex]
or f=4*3.14*10^-7* I1*I2* L)/(2*3.14*a)
he attempt at a solution[/b]

Physics news on Phys.org
logearav said:

Homework Equations

what formula should i use? is it f= BqV SIN[tex]\theta[/tex] or f= BIl sin[tex]\theta[/tex]
or f=4*3.14*10^-7* I1*I2* L)/(2*3.14*a)
he attempt at a solution[/b]
A reasonable question. Here's a hint: does the question ask for the force on a single charge, or the force on a current-carrying wire?

Redbelly98 said:
A reasonable question. Here's a hint: does the question ask for the force on a single charge, or the force on a current-carrying wire?

"a long straight wire carries a current of 2A. an electron travels with a speed of 4*10^4 m/s parallel to the wire at a distance of 0.1 metre from it. what force does the magnetic field exert on the moving electron"
the problem is like this. nothing mentioned extra.

You didn't really answer my question, which was meant to be a hint to help you decide which equation to use.

To make my point clearer:
what formula should i use? is it f= BqV SIN[tex]\theta[/tex]
That is the force on a charge q moving with speed V.

... or f= BIl sin[tex]\theta[/tex]
This is the force on a wire of length l and current I.

... or f=4*3.14*10^-7* I1*I2* L)/(2*3.14*a)
This one is the force between two wires of length L.

So, to figure out which equation applies here, you need to figure out if you need the force on a single charge, the force acting on a single wire, or the force acting between a pair of wires.

1. What is the problem in magnetic effects of current?

The main problem in magnetic effects of current is the production of electromagnetic interference (EMI). This occurs when the magnetic field generated by a current-carrying wire interferes with other electronic devices, causing them to malfunction or produce unwanted signals.

2. How does EMI affect electronic devices?

EMI can disrupt the functioning of electronic devices, causing them to malfunction or produce incorrect results. It can also lead to data loss or corruption, which can be a serious problem in industries such as healthcare and finance.

3. What are the sources of EMI?

EMI can be caused by various sources such as power lines, electronic equipment, and even natural phenomena like lightning strikes. Any device that produces a magnetic field or has a current running through it has the potential to cause EMI.

4. How can EMI be reduced or prevented?

There are several methods to reduce or prevent EMI, such as shielding electronic devices with materials that block magnetic fields, using filters to block unwanted signals, and designing circuits with proper grounding techniques. It is also important to follow electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) standards and regulations.

5. What are the implications of EMI in everyday life?

EMI can affect our daily lives in various ways. It can cause interruptions in communication systems, affect the accuracy of medical devices, and even interfere with the functioning of our household appliances. EMI can also pose a safety hazard in certain situations, such as in the case of medical implants or electronic equipment used in hazardous environments.