1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem interpreting this interference question

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"A thin piece of metal foil of thickness 0.0700mm separates one end of two pieces of optically flat glass. The top sheet is 12.0cm long. Light of wavelength 529nm is normally incident on the glass. How many interference fringes are observed per cm in the reflected light?"

I don't really understand this question. I'm amusing that the 12cm glass pane is placed (possibly end on) on top of the second (infinitely large) pane, separated by an infinitely large sheet of (opaque/reflective) thin metal foil...

If someone could decode this question for me it would be much appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Like you, I couldn't make sense of it, but gneill explained it:

4. Mar 12, 2012 #3
    That makes so much sense. Sometimes when tackling some of these questions I feel like a 3yr old playing with a bunch of shaped blocks trying to cram a stupid square one into that smug *** circular hole. Not my finest moment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook