Problem iwth calculating the movement of my solar car

In summary, the conversation is about building a solar car for a class project and trying to calculate the force needed to move the car 20 meters in 4 seconds. The car has a motor with specs of 23,500rpm, 350gm-cm torque, and 150mA at 14.8 volts, with a weight of 250gm and a gear ratio of 8:45. The person has searched for help and tried to calculate the required force using acceleration formulas. They have also mentioned that the car can do 140m in 11 seconds with 9 volts.
greeklegend14

Homework Statement

Well, i have built this solar car, and the objective is (in my class) is to see who can get there solar car teh fastest in 20 metres (i.e. who can clear teh 20 metres in teh lowest amount of seconds). My motor specs are 23,500rpm 350gm-cm torque, 150mA all at 14.8 volts. My weight on my car is about 250gm. The gear ratio I have is 8:45, so therefore i have 1968.75 gm-cm of force pushing this car. I have bearings on every wheel, so there is hardly any friction (if that helps). Can anyone help me to calculate the force needed to actually move the car 20 metres in 4 seconds, and if I can enhance the with gear ratios?

Homework Equations

1 Newton= 1kg second squared (is this relavant?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tryed to search google to find any such help in formulae's etc. and my tech teacher doesn't now how to calculate this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Redbelly98 said:
From the distance and time requirements, you can calculate the required acceleration using one of the formulas here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

Once you have acceleration, you can get the force.

thx man
i worked out that my car will do 140m in 11 sec with 9v. man I am cheering.

What is the process for calculating the movement of a solar car?

The process for calculating the movement of a solar car involves taking into account various factors such as the weight of the car, the efficiency of the solar panels, and the terrain on which the car will be driven. This information is then used to determine the amount of energy needed to move the car and the distance it can travel.

Why am I having trouble calculating the movement of my solar car?

There could be several reasons why you are having trouble calculating the movement of your solar car. It could be due to incorrect data input, faulty equipment, or an error in the calculation process. It is important to double-check your data and calculations to identify the source of the problem.

How can I improve the accuracy of my calculations for my solar car?

To improve the accuracy of your calculations, make sure you have accurate data and measurements of your solar car. You can also use advanced software or mathematical models to assist with the calculations. Additionally, regular maintenance and testing of your solar car can help ensure accurate results.

What are some common challenges when calculating the movement of a solar car?

Some common challenges when calculating the movement of a solar car include accounting for external factors such as weather conditions, unexpected terrain, and changes in solar panel efficiency. These factors can affect the accuracy of your calculations and should be taken into consideration during the process.

Are there any resources or tools available to help with calculating the movement of a solar car?

Yes, there are several resources and tools available to assist with calculating the movement of a solar car. These include online calculators, mathematical models, and software specifically designed for solar car calculations. It is also helpful to consult with other scientists and experts in the field for guidance and advice.